Noob question on what kind of power amp / monitors are a good choice for the AX8 ...

Joel76

I have a few available to use:
Crown D75 which is probably too small.
Crown D150A series II - 80 watts per channel / 8 ohms.
Crown XLS-402 which I think has 260 watts per side at 8 ohms. This one might be the best option but curious what other amps are popular to match well with the Fractal?

I'm also interested in monitors. All I have are some scrappy Alesis monitor twos, they still work but I can probably use the most help in this dept.

Thanks.

Try it all. There might be a combination that you like that sounds better than the rest.

My computer monitors are Presonus Eris 8. For live use = Headrush 212 and Friedman ASC.

There is so much to choose from (Atomic, HeadRush, Adams, Yamaha, etc.)...

Thanks. I got it yesterday and ran through the D75 and Alesis monitors. It didn't sound too bad but would like to hear some powered monitors to see if there is any advantage. Too, I'm just using straight guitar cables to the amp and there is a ton of noise on the higher gain settings but I think it's mostly due to using a single coiled Tele. Are those humbuster cables effective? I might have to look into those.

I don't have a specific recommendation for monitors. But...

Before I got an FRFR - Mine is even the basic Headrush, so no need to spend lots of $$ - I got great tones out of my AX8 regardless of what I was playing it through. Yet, when I went from powered speaker, to traditional cab, to recording and monitors I needed to make adjustments to tweak it for the system I was playing it through.

The FRFR makes it much easier to set up my sound and have it translate well to different platforms. My recommendation is to get an FRFR (Not sure if you can get one that isn't powered) if you're looking at buying something. Set up your sound on that and it will probably translate well into anything you already own.

fwiw

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom