Noob Question - Noise Gate

Rockguitarzan

Experienced
I am 2 days into have wild fun with the Axe FX 2 XL. :eagerness:

When playing my Suhr Classic S, certain patches I dial up have a lot of noise. Im sure part of this is due to the classic single coils.

On my Kemper there is a Noise Gate knob I can reach over and turn up a little to fix this.

What is the best approach to do this on the Axe Fx2?

Thanks!

Where in signal chain is the best place to pop it in. Start? End?Im not really sure which effect is causing it.

Actually I use the built-in one 90% of the time no point in wasting a block on it.

Pro tip: Rockguitarzan, before spamming the group with a ton of trivial noob questions google: AxeFx Wiki

Not really necessary to add a separate Gate block.
There's already a gate in every preset: Layout > In/Gte.
Set Ratio at 2.30 for starters.

Verify that the threshold in Global is at 0.

Not really necessary to add a separate Gate block.
There's already a gate in every preset: Layout > In/Gte.
Set Ratio at 2.30 for starters.

Verify that the threshold in Global is at 0.

Thank you Yek! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew this forum could be a great resource. :encouragement:

Congrats on the Axe FX XL.
Yek's the main man behind the wiki also but, as you can see, he's Johnny on the spot with helping out on countless questions on here. One of the best...

I tend to play single coils most of the time and I prefer to turn the noise gate off and find the sweet spot in the room where my guitar is less noisy. I find the noise gate, even when barely affecting the single, bothers me and affects dynamics and tone. Nice to have though..

The wiki is indeed a wealth of great information.. most questions are answered in there somewhere. Always cool to get input om the forum though...

Pro Tip: Feel free to ignore them if they upset you :)

No worries, "helping you" (what happened) is different than "upset with you" (what you inferred). The Wiki is a phenomenal resource and perusing it is likely a better use of your (presumably valuable) time than posting simple question threads. Yek, whom you just thanked, is the primary contributor/author of the Wiki, BTW.

The noise gate is off on most of the presets. Press Layout then tab over to In/Gte and you can adjust the gate. I prefer a fast attack and slow release and a ratio around 2.

Thanks everyone! With all there is to learn, I really appreciate the generally friendly and supportive help Ive gotten at this forum. I just spent the last 6 months learning the Kemper system. So its an honor to have the opportunity now to learn the Axe FX.
I gotta say, the sounds are great on the newest OS. But what Im really enjoying is the integration of the MFC-101 and Axe Edit into the Axe FX hardware. They really are the icing on the cake for me.

That's handy to know. I'm new to the Fractal too and whilst the Wiki is useful its always nice to get a few different views by using the board.

Back
Top Bottom