Noob question: JC-120 amp

SteveCass

Hi all, my FX3 just arrived yesterday (I’m relatively new to the modeling world). I am looking for some good frfr speakers, but in the meantime I was thinking of running it into the fx return of my JC-120 amp. Do you guys see any issues with doing that? The 120 is such a clean-sounding amp I was thinking that might be a good temporary solution until I decide on some good frfrs. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

No "issues" per se, it's just a matter of how it sounds to you. And there's only one way to find out: try it! ;-)

At one point I ran my II straight into the front of a Deluxe Reverb for a while (no fx loop), kept the preamp super clean, and it was passable. Of course I upgraded to FR as soon as I could, but it worked for a few gigs in the meantime.

Hi all, my FX3 just arrived yesterday (I’m relatively new to the modeling world). I am looking for some good frfr speakers, but in the meantime I was thinking of running it into the fx return of my JC-120 amp. Do you guys see any issues with doing that? The 120 is such a clean-sounding amp I was thinking that might be a good temporary solution until I decide on some good frfrs. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
That would work.
I picked up a pair of Laney LFR-112's and they sound incredibly clean, with plenty of power.

No "issues" per se, it's just a matter of how it sounds to you. And there's only one way to find out: try it! ;-)

At one point I ran my II straight into the front of a Deluxe Reverb for a while (no fx loop), kept the preamp super clean, and it was passable. Of course I upgraded to FR as soon as I could, but it worked for a few gigs in the meantime.
Thanks, I will definitely try it out! Did you notice a big difference when you moved to the frfr from playing through the front of the Deluxe?

Thanks, I will definitely try it out! Did you notice a big difference when you moved to the frfr from playing through the front of the Deluxe?
Massive difference. I'd previously been running a Matrix GT800 > Crate V30 cab so was used to a guitar cab; this was when I was in an 80's band so the V30 worked really well for most of the songs. Switching to the Deluxe worked for me in a band that was mostly playing roots/jammy stuff like reggae, Allmans, Knopfler, and Dead because I didn't need heavier rock/distortion and it was easy to just bring w/ my AX8.

Then I picked up an Atomic Reactor cab (older model; not a CLR) and yea night and day. Plus of course I wasn't having to run through a preamp. I still use the Matrix > Atomic sometimes, but lately mostly using an Alto TS210 which is more balanced tonally and is way lighter than a cab + rack.

I tryed this, playing through 2 jc 120 in stereo, imho FRFR is much more flexible and you have a much more realistic sound even that the JC is clean it still has its own sound what will be mixed with the amp you have in the chain. Go FRFR as soon as you can.

Last edited:
In the 80s, the normal go to rock setup was a JCM 800 half stack for dirt and JC-120 for cleans. When your Marshall acted up (and they did), you would use two stacked dirt pedals into the JC-120 to get through the gig, even though it sounded horrendous. No reason to think the distorted tone coming out of the Roland will be any better with the Axe feeding it.

Me too.

My clean doubleverb patch through headphones with cabsim sounds remarkably like the same patch through the jc120 without the cabsim.

I tried a iic+ patch with cabsim on through the jc120... Didn't work so well. The JC just has its own tone.

UPDATE: Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I did pick up an FR speaker - I went with the Headrush 1x12 - and the FX3 sounds amazing through it. At some point I may pick up a second one for stereo but I think I’m set for a while. I didn’t even bother trying the JC-120 because I didn’t want to be disappointed with the results and I’m glad I waited. Thanks again!

When my name rises to the top of the FM3 waitlist, I was thinking about doing the same thing with my JC-120. Thank you all posting this helpful information.

Back
Top Bottom