Noob question - Axe-Fx III to a tube amp

sidsin

Inspired
I generally connect it directly to my FRFR or my headphones.

Going to a practice today where there is just a Marshall cab.

Is it okay to use the cab as a speaker or do I have to go through a power amp?

Axe FX 3 has no built-in power amp - you'll need separate power amp or amplifier with effects loop

So I cannot just connect my axe FX with the can and use it as a FRFR? While using a cab block?

Afraid not you'd still need a power amp to be heard. Most FRFR speakers or cabs have a class d amplifier built inside them unless they are a passive cab then you'd need a power amp to make them work with a normal guitar cab or FRFR.

I have a Matrix FR12P which is an FRFR passive cab and I use a Matrix GT1000FX to power it. Matrix also make a powered version called the FR12 which doesn't need a separate power amp.

Thanks! Also, does the quality of power amp matter or any cheap 100-200 one would do?

I'd give the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 or 200 a go they sound pretty good plenty of headroom. And small enough to put in a gig bag. With the new 200 now coming out you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand 170 for a decent amount.

I can recommend the Matrix power amp. It does not color the sound as much as a tube power amp. Paired with a decent cab should sound great. You will probably need to turn off the cabinet simulation in the Ax III. It may also be advisable to turn off the power amp emulation but try it both ways and see how it sounds to you. I used a Matrix amp and the Matrix Neolight 2x12 speakers and it sounded killer. Just have to EQ it to your taste.

I can recommend the Matrix power amp. It does not color the sound as much as a tube power amp. Paired with a decent cab should sound great. You will probably need to turn off the cabinet simulation in the Ax III. It may also be advisable to turn off the power amp emulation but try it both ways and see how it sounds to you. I used a Matrix amp and the Matrix Neolight 2x12 speakers and it sounded killer. Just have to EQ it to your taste.

Keep Power Amp Modeling switched on when using a Matrix.

So I cannot just connect my axe FX with the can and use it as a FRFR? While using a cab block?
Aside from the power amp issue, you can't "use a cab as FRFR" because it isn't FRFR.

Assuming you had a power amp to use, you would want to turn off the Cab block or turn off Cab modeling when plugging into a real guitar cab.

Thanks everyone for the responses. There was a marshall amp head and cab - so I just turned up the gain and master volume on that and played it. Sounded okay to be honest, but the feedback was killing me! Had to keep the noise suppression all the way up to 40.

Use the Effects Return on the amp head if available, and turn off Power Amp Modeling and Cab Modeling.
Correct me if I am wrong - I can connect the guitar straight to the tube head, use the FX loop to send to the AXE FX III and then return it to the tube amp. And turn off the power amp modelling and cab modelling?

or else connect to the axe, and send the output (FX send it just output 1 would do?) to FX return while having the power modelling turned off? (Would I need to turn off the cab modelling as well?)

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong - I can connect the guitar straight to the tube head, use the FX loop to send to the AXE FX III and then return it to the tube amp. And turn off the power amp modelling and cab modelling?

or else connect to the axe, and send the output (FX send it just output 1 would do?) to FX return while having the power modelling turned off? (Would I need to turn off the cab modelling as well?)
In both cases you would turn off Amp and Cab modeling because you're using a real amp and real cab.

As mentioned, the manual describes the ways to connect to a traditional amp and cab.

Is there an amp on top of that cabinet where you are rehearsing? I just turn off the cabinet and power amp modelling and go out of the 1/4" into the return of the amp and use the tube amp power for the cab. It works nicely.

Is there an amp on top of that cabinet where you are rehearsing? I just turn off the cabinet and power amp modelling and go out of the 1/4" into the return of the amp and use the tube amp power for the cab. It works nicely.
yeah, will try it next week.

There is a marshall tube amp, so will connect the output 1 to the fx return and turn off power amp and cab modelling.

Back
Top Bottom