nOOb question: Amp block has speaker settings, cab block has preamp settings... What?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
What am I missing here - why would these blocks have each other's settings? How would I know when to make adjustments in, say, the amp's speaker settings versus the speakers settings or if I should make adjustments in the speaker's preamp settings versus the amp block's settings? Maybe this is day-one stuff, but it's been on my mind :)

You might take a read thru the wiki, the tech notes forum, and the manual. But in a nutshell the changing speaker impedance affects how an amplifier reacts and different speakers react different ways hence the necessity to put speaker settings in the amp block

You might take a read thru the wiki, the tech notes forum, and the manual. But in a nutshell the changing speaker impedance affects how an amplifier reacts and different speakers react different ways hence the necessity to put speaker settings in the amp block
I’ve wondered why there is not a selection for impedance curves from actual speaker cabinets that could be input as opposed to adjustments. Would not this make it easier to configure the power amp stage of the amp block?

You know I started to read the manual and the Wiki concerning both these areas and I started to get a headache. I guess I'm not ready to understand. It was more of an idle curiosity - but the manual and Wiki were exactly no help in breaking it down Barney-style for me. But I guess that's the point: if I don't understand the parameter, then I probably shouldn't be adjusting it since I probably won't be able to discern what it's actually doing anyway. I legitimately think they put options in this machine that only electrical engineers can truly appreciate lol! Regardless, the sound that comes out is candy to my ears :D So for now I'll ignore these areas.

The low and high resonance in the spkr page of the amp block are how you adjust for the spkr impedance. The low res is one of the advanced parameters that imo should not be ignored. If your amp/cab is sounding too boomy no matter what you do or you can’t get you cab thump right this is the place to go to. That and the speaker compression should also not be ignored. Just keep reading and play with the parameters a bit

Back
Top Bottom