Noob looper question with levels!

axl-fx

Inspired
I'm using the looper for when I'm doing solos....I can get a nice balance switching between playing rhythms and the looper replaying them.

When replaying the loop though I want to have a slight "solo" boost engage of the live guitar when the loop starts playing...is there anyway to enable a boost from a modifier on the Play function???

As you describe it, no.

You COULD, however, add an external controller and assign it to both LOOPER PLAY and, say, EXT 12. There may be some kinks but it could work.

I bet you could do this by being creative with multiple rows and scenes.

Here's an example that might work...

Row 1) input -> amp, etc. -> split to row 2 -> volume block -> looper -> output
Row 2) split from row 1 -> volume block -> output

Set the volume blocks to mute input when bypassed. Enable the Row 1 volume and disable the Row 2 volume for Scene 1. Do the reverse for Scene 2.

I haven't tried it but I think it should work? This is just an example. There are other similar configurations that should work.

I don't recall if the looper block has the ability to mute input only when bypassed. If so, you could eliminate the Row 1 volume and just use that for muting the rhythm.

Sure, scenes would definitely also work.
If you wanted to switch between presets for this, I think the same basic idea would work but be a little simpler. You could just stick the looper in its own row in the lead preset going direct to output (making sure that the loopers in both presets have the same settings or the AX8 will stop the loop when switching).

Actually, I just realized that my scene setup is probably way more complicated than it has to be. You could just use the two scenes to switch in a lead boost pre-looper like with any other lead boost without messing with the row split, the bypass mutes, etc.. Just make sure you have the looper at the end of the chain so that it is recording the full rhythm sound. The boost could be done by toggling in a block (using volume, filter, or whatever) or modifying a level with a scene controller or using an X/Y block. I do exactly this so not sure why it didn't come to me earlier! That's what I get for answering questions without the AX8 in front of me.

My first scene setup would be useful if you wanted to switch in some changes to the rhythm loop like maybe an EQ to clear some space for the lead.

Back
Top Bottom