Noob Logic Pro Question

CipherHost

Experienced
I'm trying my hand at recording with Logic Pro. A bit of a learning curve for me.
I have Input and Output devices in Logic Preferences set to "Axe FX III".
I create an audio track in Logic and record a guitar part. Channel strip input source = Input 1. Output slot = Stereo Out
My preset has the InUSB block patched into Output 1 (because without it, I can't hear playback). This might be my problem described below?
Hooray, I can record and hear the playback of one track!
Now I create a new audio track to record another guitar part over the first track. Same channel strip settings as first audio track. (Another problem?)
When I record the second track, the playback from the first track is recorded in the new track with the new guitar part. :( Not what I want.
The only way I found around this is to set Logic Preferences Output devices to my MacBook and listen with headphones while recording the second track. Not ideal.
I read the manual on the wiki page that covers USB. Honestly, that confused the hell out of me. It will probably seem obvious after someone explains it, but right now, I'm stupefied.
Do I need to use different blocks in my preset and/or different strip settings in Logic to avoid the first track being recorded onto the second track?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Same channel strip settings as first audio track. (Another problem?)
No. That’s expected. Just don’t arm both tracks at the same time when recording. Or remove the input source from tracks when you’re done recording.

My preset has the InUSB block patched into Output 1 (because without it, I can't hear playback). This might be my problem described below?
Yes. This is causing your problem.

Remove that block.

On the hardware set USB Output Mapping to 1/2 -> OUT1, 3/4 -> OUT2.

Did you get the new Logic update? Its really out of this world
Yes. (10.7.0)
I've watched several videos, but feel like I need to take a full course that starts from scratch. So much going on and I only know bits and pieces. But you're right. A lot of cool things in there.

No. That’s expected. Just don’t arm both tracks at the same time when recording. Or remove the input source from tracks when you’re done recording.

Yes. This is causing your problem.

Remove that block.

On the hardware set USB Output Mapping to 1/2 -> OUT1, 3/4 -> OUT2.
I'll try this again tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom