Noob, Les Paul Question

JDWhite

Inspired
Hello All,

I have a noob question for you. I have a 2013 Les Paul Standard. It is by far the nicest guitar that I have, but I can't seem to dial in a heavy tone with it, without too much low end.

I am positive that it is just me, so I just need your thoughts.

I have a Fender strat with Hotrail pups in the bridge (did this back when I needed more metal, many years ago, will put it back to stock, someday), that I can dial in say something like the FAS Modern, with no problem.
I have a Dime-O-Flame (copy) with Dimebuckers, that sounds brutal and I can seem to dial in pretty well for a mix.

The truth is, I am probably just not used to the quality of sound that I have now with the Les. I am trying to go for a Zakk Wylde kind of sound. I realize he has his own set of pickups, and uses Marshalls (while somewhat different in the Axe, I am sure, should still get me near) etc.....

But when I dial in anything heavy, it just seems to have a LOT of low end that will surely not mix well for recording. Would I just dial out the low end? How much do you think? I know this is all subjective, and I am not looking for perfection; I am easy, I just get frustrated when I plug in the LP and it is, I don't know, too bassy?

Again, just me, I am sure. I just wanted to put this in front of the smart people :) My 2013 is all stock BTW, so you know.

Thank you, as always, for your help.

JD

Have you tried cutting some of the low end out of your tone?
There has been discussion the last few days on this topic of where people are cutting both the lows and highs for a nice sound.

Several people are doing it in the cab block cutting the lows at ~80HZ and highs near 9000HZ

some low cut as much 100-120. the cut switch in the amp block is a great place to tame flabby low end as well.

Don't be afraid to dial the amp's bass knob down real low. Especially in a high gain scenario. And by low I mean 1-3, not 5-7 hehe. Don't look at the dial or the numbers. Just adjust the control down until it sounds like you want. If you can't get there with that knob you have lots of other tone shaping options like GEQ in the amp block or the pre-amp section in the cab block.

Also, try different IR's. A bass deficient IR that you hate for clean tones can be a one click solution to too much bottom from the amp with high gain.

My Les Paul's have always sounded a bit "boomy" in comparison with other guitars, but that's regardless of whether I'm playing through tubes or digital.

My Les Paul's have always sounded a bit "boomy" in comparison with other guitars, but that's regardless of whether I'm playing through tubes or digital.

Yeah my Gibson Les Paul sounds really boomy too.
Keep in mind that Zakk uses EMG pickups, these do make a big difference in that regard.
I usually use guitars with EMG's or even single coils sometimes when it comes to 6 string high gain guitars.
This doesn't mean that you can't use your les paul ofcourse but you have to find an amp and/or settings that work well with your guitar.
Like others have said, try the cut switch and low cut in the cab block.
Simply try reducing the bass control in the amp block.
With the Recto's turning down the master volume can also help.
Loads of options.
Maybe the most simple option is to add an eq before the amp and just dial out some low end at the frequency where it's bugging you.
Good luck!

Yeah my Gibson Les Paul sounds really boomy too.
Keep in mind that Zakk uses EMG pickups, these do make a big difference in that regard.
I usually use guitars with EMG's or even single coils sometimes when it comes to 6 string high gain guitars.
This doesn't mean that you can't use your les paul ofcourse but you have to find an amp and/or settings that work well with your guitar.
Like others have said, try the cut switch and low cut in the cab block.
Simply try reducing the bass control in the amp block.
With the Recto's turning down the master volume can also help.
Loads of options.
Maybe the most simple option is to add an eq before the amp and just dial out some low end at the frequency where it's bugging you.
Good luck!

Thank you, although I'm not the OP and don't have any trouble handling this issue ;-)

Depends on the wood and the pickups. My LP is lightweight despite zero weight relief and initially I found it quite bright plugged in and nice and woody acoustically. Definitely not boomy. Depends on the guitar I guess. Maybe try changing your pickups?

Here's mine through FW17 a while back. Quick noodle for my nephew.

https://youtu.be/T_yFexoOcFw

I have a 1959'Relic Les Paul and this is normal with the bass - that's Les Paul's are famous for having a big fat sound - just turn down some bass in the amp or use the cut switch, maybe cut some middle aswell and increase treble or/and presence...

Try Scott's trick. PEQ block In front of the amp block, cut 300 -6db that really helped my 2012. Standard it wasn't the full answer but it helped me get there.

Thank you all very much for your, as always, quick responses and much appreciated help. I will grind thru it, using your advice. I know the sound is there, and I am on a big Zakk kick right now with his latest album. So I have been trying to figure this out. Back to work, Thank you again.

I will keep you updated.....

JD

Keep in mind Zach plays EMG active pickups, and gets more gain from his guitar. I have a Carvin with actives, and I can get close to that tone with that guitar, but I haven't really with my passive Les Paul. (But then again, I haven't really tried, so FWIW...)
That tone is really driven, and I'd think a overdrive or even a distortion pedal in front would be in order. Those are pretty good for shaping tone too.
There are a ton of ways to cut bass. Here are some:

1. Low cut switch
2. Dial the bass down. Don't be afraid to roll it to 0, like on the Mesa models.
3. PEQ in front of the amp
4. Filter Block.
5. High pass in the Amp block. Many people set this at 80-100hz. I do.
6. GEQ in the Amp parameters. Very effective.

Try some of Fremens presets - he's very good in dialing tone without to much low end...and he's tweaked all kind of amps...

Which Amp model and cabinet are you using within the axe fx? also what are you monitoring with?

Some amp models are more boomy than others. For example, I cannot, for the life of me, get a solid, tight low end out of the Bogner Uberschall. I also find that the German Cabs are extremely boomy which makes this amp model even harder to dial in. That's just my opinion. So try and look at what amp/cab youre using.

Thanks all, again. To be completely honest, I get frustrated with it quickly. When inspiration strikes, I want to plug in and play. This does not work, of course, if I have not done the prework to set up an amp; I know this, but then I Just grab my dime (copy) and all is easy. Frustrating. Thanks again for taking the time to post. This is by far my favorite place to hang out. You guys rock.

JD

This is a jam with my dime https://soundcloud.com/jd-white/dregs

Back
Top Bottom