Implemented Nonlinear Reverb and Mantic Proverb

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Wish List' started by York Audio, Dec 14, 2016.

1. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Hey guys,
    So we've got a ton of great reverb options already available in the Axe, BUT.... I've found a couple more that I think could be some really cool additions to the unit that are unique enough to consider.

1. The reverse-gated reverb (or the ability to gate any reverb) like what's heard on this Strymon Big Sky clip. All of the sounds are interesting and usable, but I'm primarily referring to the gated verb heard at 0:51.

2. The beautiful spring-delay-chorus chaos that is the Mantic Proverb.

SoProg and dr bonkers like this.
  2. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

For a gated reverb sound, try running the reverb block in parallel at 100% wet and using the ADSR controller on the reverb's output level. In the modifier, set min all the way down at -80 dB to have the "gate" kill the reverb signal completely. Set it higher to let a little bleed through. Set Max to get your desired reverb mix level. 0dB will be roughly the same volume as the dry for a 50% wet dry mix. Set the ASDR envelope to your desired reverb tail shape and timing. Turn retrigger on to better follow input dynamics. It works best with long, dense reverb modes. Like in the example video above, gated verbs are typically used with more transient sounds like snare hits as opposed to long sustained sounds, so staccato playing will show off the gating best.

dr bonkers, bradlake and yek like this.
  3. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

That's a very cool tip that I'll have to try sometime. For the wish, it would be nice to be able to select a reverb option for "reverse" (as that's the main characteristic that separates it from the reverb options we currently have). It's like it swells into a transient and is able to give an almost rhythmic feel when sustaining a chord. The goal would be to have that sound without having to do any advanced programming/routing.

As for the Mantic, I can get something somewhat similar, but can't match the modulation or get that slight delay repeats in the decay.

The beauty of the Axe is that nearly anything is possible if you have the time, knowledge, and ear to accomplish it. These wishes are meant to streamline the experience and open up some new tonal possibilities without having to incorporate multiple blocks.

dr bonkers and bradlake like this.
  4. mr_fender

mr_fender
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

For that reverse gate sound, set the ADSR attack longer and the release shorter. That will make the reverb tail fade in and chop off short, the reverse of a typical reverb envelope. You can also play with the predelay in the reverb block to adjust how it corresponds to the ADSR timing as well.

improb_driver likes this.
  5. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Since I originally posted this wish, I've learned more about what I'm looking for and can better reference the sound that I think would be great to have in the Axe. Here's a little clip I just made to showcase the reverb. There are sections with and without it so you can really hear what it's doing. It's like a lush reverb that just stops without a gradual decay. In this example, I set it so that it ended right before the next beat. The track almost has a natural pumping feel to it as a result and the notes aren't always running into one another for a cleaner overall sound. Also, in the "chorus" section, I muted the reverb in the middle and you can hear the glue leave the track and then come back in. The outro is just soloed guitars with the verb with an exposed tail at the end.

To get this sound, I used Valhalla Vintage Verb "Nonlin" mode, as that's the best sounding plugin version I've found. The first guitar has the "1970's" color and the higher guitar has the "1980's" color.

For the wish, it would be awesome to have a "Nonlinear" mode in the reverb block with the ability to add dirt to it in order to change the character and grittiness of the reverb kind of like the various modes in the Valhalla plugin.

6. Perdikament

Perdikament
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

I haven't tried it but I'm thinking that using a delay with one repeat and messing with the diffusion setting might possibly work.

7. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, to get the sound I'm requesting would require a new model to be made or new parameters to be added to current reverb models. I've spent hours with both the reverb and delay blocks experimenting with every diffusion parameter as well as routing in a gate and still can't get it to do the Valhalla, Strymon, Eventide, Red Panda Context, nonlinear thing. The verbs and delays all have decaying trails, and using the gate doesn't yield the desired effect either.

The new Paramore record coming out this year has nonlinear reverb all over it, so I'm trying to figure out how to get these tones without having to incorporate physical pedals into my rig. If Cliff digs the wish, awesome! If not, adding a pedal to my rig isn't the worst thing in the world.

8. Admin M@

Admin M@
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Look for my Popgate preset and play with that!

9. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Just had an awesome chat with Matt and he got me all squared away. I didn't have the right routing for my gate, and he showed me how to get the sound I was after by messing with a few simple parameters. Thanks Matt!

improb_driver, iaresee and R.D. like this.
  10. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

Share! :)

iaresee, bradlake and R.D. like this.
  11. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

share; please

12. York Audio

York Audio
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Here's a basic patch to play with. The main shaping tools are the Gate Block's Attack, Hold, and Release. I'm going to dive deeper into it, but this should be a good starting place for anyone else interested in that sound.

Attached Files:

iaresee, h.c.e., yek and 7 others like this.
  13. bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

thanks justin

York Audio likes this.
  14. Admin M@

Admin M@
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

Go team.