Non-Minimum Phase IRs

Josetxu

Inspired
I've been reading a bit, not everything, the "Non-Minimun Phase IRs" thread. Then I've read the AXE FX III release notes an this quote: " Added Processing parameter to IR Capture Utility. This selects between “Minimum-Phase” which transforms the IR into a minimum-phase version, “Auto-Trim” which removes the leading silence, and “None” which applies no processing at all. Note: prior firmware always used minimum-phase processing."

So, If I've understood correctly the AXE FXIII converted any IR to a minimum phase version when importing it? isn't it? so my question is: does the AX8 do the same? every IR, one stored in the AX8 is a mininum phase one? or if you import a non minimum phase one is untoched? if it's always converted, it would be possible in a future to use the non converted versions?

So, If I've understood correctly the AXE FXIII converted any IR to a minimum phase version when importing it?
No. That's not correct. The unit does no conversion on IR import. That release note is in reference to the IR Capture Utility in the unit -- a feature used to shoot IRs. The units do no conversion on IR import.

No. That's not correct. The unit does no conversion on IR import. That release note is in reference to the IR Capture Utility in the unit -- a feature used to shoot IRs. The units do no conversion on IR import.

ah, ok, was a misunderstanding of my part! Thanks for the clarification!!

ah, ok, was a misunderstanding of my part! Thanks for the clarification!!
If you have the “Minimum-Phase Transform” (sometimes styled variously as “Min-Phase” or “MPT”) option ticked on in Cab-Lab processing (Lite, or full), or you have the option turned on in Ax-Edit for Ax-Manage Cab imports (it’s in the Preferences, or in the Axe-Manage Cab Tool’s Browse menu) your converted .syx (from .wav or .ir) will be MPT’d. I believe the default behavior is MPT on in Ax-Edit (though you can set to “None”), and, not in front of Cab-Lab at the moment, but from memory, it’s a per mixer slot option that may or may not default to ticked on, and it’s an option in the pop-up widgets for “WAV->SYX” and “IR->SYX” tools. As iaresee mentions above, the unit does not process on syx import, but how you chose to process conversion from source to syx is up to the user (i.e, i set all the processing options in the apps to “None” when I first used them, so any cab I’ve ever converted from .wav for example is considered a “raw” IR). Currently, all cabs in factory banks (with the exception of “Room” IRs possibly?) were processed with MPT for all fractal units.

Back
Top Bottom