Non-Minimum Phase IRs

Yes, all stock cabs are MinPhase.
Off the top of your head, does this also hold true for most Cab Packs in the Fractal Store?
I’m wondering if there was a certain criteria or standard that they all met prior to publishing?

Speaking of conversion, etc: If I drop a wav on the AE cab manage tool to load it, is it MPT or raw?

Speaking of conversion, etc: If I drop a wav on the AE cab manage tool to load it, is it MPT or raw?
By default, if you never changed the settings, MPT.

In AE-III go to: Settings -> Preferences... -> Cabinet Import -> IR Processing and set it to "None" if you want Raw syx conversion (there's also an option in Axe-Manage Cabs tool under the browse menu toward the bottom somewhere (not in front of axe, can't remember exact menu option for certain), but the Settings -> Preferences is the master control for that option as well.)

In Cab-Lab 3: Settings -> Default Processing Mode -> None

By default, if you never changed the settings, MPT.

In AE-III go to: Settings -> Preferences... -> Cabinet Import -> IR Processing and set it to "None" if you want Raw syx conversion (there's also an option in Axe-Manage Cabs tool under the browse menu toward the bottom somewhere (not in front of axe, can't remember exact menu option for certain), but the Settings -> Preferences is the master control for that option as well.)

In Cab-Lab 3: Settings -> Default Processing Mode -> None
In some circumstances it could be better to select auto-trim, I've noticed some IR producers leave quite a bit of silence at the beginning of the files, this would introduce a tiny bit of latency and the resolution of the IR would be lower cuz it will be cut (windowed) earlier.

In some circumstances it could be better to select auto-trim, I've noticed some IR producers leave quite a bit of silence at the beginning of the files, this would introduce a tiny bit of latency and the resolution of the IR would be lower cuz it will be cut (windowed) earlier.
Conversely, some IR creators specifically suggest against using auto-trim, such as OwnHammer. I'd imagine it's pretty case-by-case depending on the producer.

Conversely, some IR creators specifically suggest against using auto-trim, such as OwnHammer. I'd imagine it's pretty case-by-case depending on the producer.
Definitely. Using auto trim doesn't guarantee that IRs will be aligned when mixed, while without processing they usually are if they come from the same producer.

Cliff just posted a subset of the factory IRs with no minimum phase transformation applied. They sound subtly different.

The second paragraph is about mixing these no minimum phase transform IRS. If you are just using 1 IR, yeah it doesn't apply.
I totally agree with this one.

Interesting. I was checking out some of my Ownhammer IRs when I read the readme file in the Fractal folder. It stated the following

The following folders contain .wav files perfectly prepared for
conversion to the Fractal Audio Systems derivative format types.

These .wav files are 200 ms in length and NOT minimum phase transformed
so as to avoid cascading processing by FAS conversion software.

Conversion to Fractal Audio Systems formats requires Fractal Audio System's
conversion utility. For more information on loading or converting files, please
see the Fractal Audio Systems website and documentation.

That's just delay.

Then why does ~140 millimetres always give a sweet spot when using even a single IR? It's super subtle, almost imperceptible, but spending 20 minutes scrolling from 0 to 340, 140mm going back to 0 takes the magic away, it's hard to really even hear it do anything different, maybe it's just notching my favorite 500hz mid band. I guess it's got a fixed mix ratio with the dry signal maybe cause I can definitely tell a difference when using a single IR, it's subtle but I guess fractions of a millimetre would be...

Why were all the IRs transformed from raw IR responses to MPT types originally?
Was this soley for the purpose of making it easier to mix multiple IRs?

Okay now for the next big debate, what’s everyone’s feelings on which wav file resolution to pick when converting; 96/24/500 or just start right off with 48/24/200?

Okay now for the next big debate, what’s everyone’s feelings on which wav file resolution to pick when converting; 96/24/500 or just start right off with 48/24/200?
Shouldn't make much of a difference, axe-edit and cab-lab automatically convert/trim the IRs when importing them into the axe.

I usually just keep the higher resolution and delete others

Back
Top Bottom