[implemented] Non-Linear Reverb

What about having a send/return insert on the decay? Then you could add reverse delay or a tremolo or drive or whatever. This would be cool on delay repeats as well. There are a number delay and reverb pedals that have loops on the market that are pretty neat.

To clarify; I'm not talking about the reverb block being linear time invariant (which i understand it already is). I'm referring to the properties of the reverb decay.

Here's an example of what the Axe-Fx can already achieve and what I'd like it to be able to achieve.

Clip 1 is a simple gated reverb (reverb block + gate block in parallel)
Clip 2, which starts at 12s, is a "ramp up" delay using a reverse delay, multidelay and gate

Notice in clip 2 that even once the gate kills the repeats, if I begin playing again there are still "tails" of the previous chords.

Clip 3 , which starts at 37s, is one example of what I'd like to achieve; a "ramp up" style reverb without any tails. That is, once the gate closes any new inputs to the block are processed independently and discretely with respect to anything that occurs to the gate closing (I chopped clips together in Pro-Tools to achieve this).

One of the joys of the Axe-Fx format is having the flexibility to chain multiple blocks together and create totally new sounds inspired by effects like this. However, a dedicated block that would have all the relevant parameters and routing options under the fingers could be equally as inspiring and creative.

The best example of nonlinear reverbs might be Lexicon, or even the Yamaha REV-7. A good vintage "Reverse" reverb isn't reversed at all... It has more in common with a Megatap delay, I think.

That's what the Boss RV-500 seems like too. I saw a demo of it where they delay the reflections and it starts to sound like a multi-tap delay and has some similarities to the Tera Echo as well.

Clip 3 , which starts at 37s, is one example of what I'd like to achieve; a "ramp up" style reverb without any tails. That is, once the gate closes any new inputs to the block are processed independently and discretely with respect to anything that occurs to the gate closing (I chopped clips together in Pro-Tools to achieve this).
That's the best-described request for reverse reverb I've read here. And I've read A LOT of them over the years. Definitely something that needs more in-block support to achieve.

The best example of nonlinear reverbs might be Lexicon, or even the Yamaha REV-7. A good vintage "Reverse" reverb isn't reversed at all... It has more in common with a Megatap delay, I think.
EMT 140 is that classic non - linear reverb heard on tons of records. perhaps the unit everyone else tried to base their later algorithms on...

Sounds like this could be accomplished by a “purge the pipe” function in the Reverb block, triggered by envelope.

For real creative weirdness, the purge function could be attachable to any modifier. Imagine if the tail could be cut short by lowering the pitch of the input below a certain threshold. Or by a Control Switch, like a kind of damper pedal.

Sounds like this could be accomplished by a “purge the pipe” function in the Reverb block, triggered by envelope.

For real creative weirdness, the purge function could be attachable to any modifier. Imagine if the tail could be cut short by lowering the pitch of the input below a certain threshold. Or by a Control Switch, like a kind of damper pedal.

That would open up a LOT of fun possibilities.

For the examples that aren't just gated reverb on single hits/chords a multi-tap delay for the desired volume envelope into (or after) a short reverb seems plausible. Here's a megatap delay with "increasing" amplitude type into a ~1-second reverb (Axe-FX II). The last 2 chords are an example of a "clear reverb" function by briefly reducing reverb time to near minimum.

Resonance like on the Polara video can happen if multidelay times are all equal. Make them not all equal to avoid this. With the megatap either use constant time shape w/ some time randomize, or a different time shape (maybe not sine though) with a fairly low but nonzero time alpha.

For the examples that aren't just gated reverb on single hits/chords a multi-tap delay for the desired volume envelope into (or after) a short reverb seems plausible. Here's a megatap delay with "increasing" amplitude type into a ~1-second reverb (Axe-FX II). The last 2 chords are an example of a "clear reverb" function by briefly reducing reverb time to near minimum.

Resonance like on the Polara video can happen if multidelay times are all equal. Make them not all equal to avoid this. With the megatap either use constant time shape w/ some time randomize, or a different time shape (maybe not sine though) with a fairly low but nonzero time alpha.

Thanks for posting this, it's made me want to dig into the block a whole bunch more!

Back
Top Bottom