[implemented] Non-Linear Reverb

Axe-Master
I've been able to get some great emulations of vintage gated/ramp verbs (thanks @Admin M@ and see the clip below) using multiple blocks but a true non-linear reverb, where each new signal is processed discretely, would be an amazing addition to the Axe-Fx III, either as part of the reverb block or as it's own standalone block (similar to the way the III has seperate Multidelay and Plex blocks now). If it has modes that replicate classic gated and ramp up verbs, even better.

I’m not familiar with the term “nonlinear reverb.” Is this a reference to gated reverb, or is there something more?

I’m not familiar with the term “nonlinear reverb.” Is this a reference to gated reverb, or is there something more?

Essentially it's reverb where the decay behaves in a way that would not occur in the real world ; gated verbs, reverse verbs and ramp up verbs being some examples.

Reactions: Rex
Could this be accomplished using a modifier for size or similar parameters with a bit of a ramp up or down over time ?

Reverse reverb is one of those effects that seems be remarkably different from implementation to implementation. What Eventide does for their reverse reverb vs. what Boss does has always seemed very different to me.

That being said, y'all have me wondering what the new auto-swell in the VOL block would be like before and after a parallel reverb in a signal chain. I think I'm going to have to find out...

As for gated reverb, there's a Gated Reverb preset in the unit that shows you how to accomplish a tight, gated off reverb.

Last edited:
The best example of nonlinear reverbs might be Lexicon, or even the Yamaha REV-7. A good vintage "Reverse" reverb isn't reversed at all... It has more in common with a Megatap delay, I think.

The best example of nonlinear reverbs might be Lexicon, or even the Yamaha REV-7. A good vintage "Reverse" reverb isn't reversed at all... It has more in common with a Megatap delay, I think.

Yamaha SPX.

That's bizarre and hard to nail down, really. Sounds great. Definitely don't think you can cobble it together with blocks in the box after listening to that intro clip. There's a swell and almost a tuned ring modulation that occurs in addition to the usual diffusion-reflection wash.

Ten-Tap definitely has some qualities that can be used to lift a facsimile here. But it doesn't feedback on itself so you miss some of that ring modulation thing. You can get some interesting stereo things happening with the Pan Shape set to Sine or Up/Down which is kind of cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom