Non-line level input into axe fx 2??

SteelCurtis

Hello
I've been a bystander for a few months, looking into axe fx 2 for experimentation.

Has anybody used the low impedance from a di as an input signal to the axe fx 2? Did the axe fx 2 respond to low impedence input the same way it responds to guitar line level input? Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:
I realize you can probably change settings, such as an input impedence setting, on the axe fx 2, so that it knows what input it is getting. However, I'm not sure how or in what way doing this could change the end-result or sound quality.

DI is typically line level. We use DI all the time when doing "mic+DI" IR captures.

DI is typically line level. We use DI all the time when doing "mic+DI" IR captures.

Thank you for your response!

I guess it can be done but I'm wondering how that might effect the end result or out put from the axe fx 2.

It looks I'll just have to test it out playing direct to axe fx 2 vs. placing a DI box in front of the axe fx 2.

I was under the impression that a signal from a DI takes a typical high impedence guitar signal and changes it to low impedence, which then gets plugged into a mixer/PA...
My impression was that the axe fx 2 is optimized to receive the high impedence signal from the instrument rather than a low impedance signal from a DI box.

I guess I'll have to try it out. Are the any input settings I need to be aware of or reading material? Or, do you have to use di boxes that include impedence matching or something similar?

I feel this would be the same question for anyone using any pedal in front of the axe fx 2 that converts a signal to low impedence. I'm still very new so I may be over-thinking it or thinking incorrectly.

Last edited:
Input 1 on the rear is a very high impedance input (1 Mohm). It is compatible with low impedance outputs. Most people don't understand the real meaning of impedance and think you need to connect low impedance to low impedance but that's only with passive devices and is a relic of the old days when transformers were used to get the best power transfer. Nowadays we have active inputs with very high impedance which are compatible with a broad range of source impedances.

Input 1 on the rear is a very high impedance input (1 Mohm). It is compatible with low impedance outputs. Most people don't understand the real meaning of impedance and think you need to connect low impedance to low impedance but that's only with passive devices and is a relic of the old days when transformers were used to get the best power transfer. Nowadays we have active inputs with very high impedance which are compatible with a broad range of source impedances.

Thank you again for your reply. I'm going to pull the trigger and get one if these things; when you mention the active input that should fix the issues I was worried about with using pedals. Also I realized the fx unit itself may actually solve the potential noise issue that I'm worried about better than the solutions I was thinking of using externally. I was just trying to plan ahead and prevent hum from my split signal coming back together at the mixer making a 'ground loop' (which may not even exist since the axe fx 2 unit is probably a di unit itself). Do you think I won't even need the di box?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom