Non-Flubby Drive Pedals

Nozkcb

Inspired
I'm really having a difficult time getting a good tone with the drive pedals (v 7.01) with amps like Matchless, AC30, AC15 where the tone isn't harsh, overly middy or especially flubby (flabby, garbled, etc.) with low notes. Is it just me or, is there a specific pedal, with specific settings that works well that I've somehow not found yet? For example, on my analog rig I use a BB preamp, The Dude, Angry Charlie, OCD, Timmy, EM Drive, into my Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 and previously 65 Amps Monterey, Carr Skylark and while most pedal have a different "tone", I don't have the flabby, lose low-end sound I get with the pedals within the AX8.

I've tried them all and have done a LOT of knob turning, but so far, nothing is quite getting it.

Suggestions please.

Try turning up the low cut in the drive block or amp block depending on where the flub is happening. Bass knob Cut switch in the amp block works similarly. Flubby sounds are almost always caused by pushing too much bass into the input. You can then add low end back after the amp if needed.

I use flat filters in front of the amp usually around +2 to + 3 to add a little dirt.

The fractal shimmer drive is the best drive w those types amps imo.

Best amp + cab combo I've found in the Fractal is the Matchbox d30 w the Blue 2x12.

Those type of amps generally like to be run on the edge of break up and pushed into overdrive.

Therefore I use PEQ blocks to push the amp harder, or if I use a drive block run the drive very low and the level high to boost the amp.
The bass settings in the drive block should get rid of any flub or drop the bass level and/or the bass-cut switch in the amp block.

Use the GEQ page in the amp block to add back any bass post amp if necessary.

The Timmy and BB Pre models sound spot on to their real-world counterparts; I still have both and did extensive comparison. So if you liked those pedals, use those models.

For the Timmy, use only the Drive, Tone, Low Cut and Level. Those are the controls on the original. Turn Low Cut all the way down and Tone all the up (it's reversed from the pedal) to start flat like you would with the original.

For the BB Pre, use only the Drive, Level, and the Bass and Treble in the EQ section. Leave Tone at noon for authentic BB sounds.

I think the Timmy works a lot better with crunchier amps like the DC30, and the BB works wonders with cleaner amps like Twin Reverbs.

Back
Top Bottom