Nominal Output with Engl Poweramp

ChainOfThought

Experienced
So I'm a little bit confused on the nominal output level. I've never really known exactly what makes the distinction between "pro" and "consumer" grade equipment as mentioned in the manual. I know they're pretty industry standard terms, I've just never really known how to know what falls into what category.

So, I'm running into an Engl E840/50 tube poweramp. The Input levels from the engl manual are as follows:

GAIN (14) off: -5 dB max. 15 dB
GAIN (14) on: -20 dB max. 0 dB

So I can use either setting, its just a gain button on the front of the amp to switch between the two settings. But does that mean I would use +4db with the gain off or -10db with the gain on? It seems like either method would leave about 10db headroom, but am I using the numbers correctly? Or do I need to use -10db with the gain off to leave more headroom?

I'm pretty sure I've been running it at -10db with the gain button typically off. With the out1 level around noon, I can pretty much max out the poweramp volume without killing myself...which shouldn't really be possible. If I activate the gain button then the volume levels are much closer to what you'd expect from a tube amp. Is that all it comes down to? Just pretty much set it so the volume seems right?

Back
Top Bottom