Noisy Fan

Probably be pretty easy to do a little thermalcoupler circuit that could vary the rpm via resistance and temp changes too.... probably overkill though
The current/new unit already support thermal controlled varying RPM, as confirmed by Cliff. I am not sure how aggressive the rpm varying algorithm is, I was proposing if it’d make sense to have different algorithms for quiet/cool studio use vs hot Summer outdoor use...

The current/new unit already support thermal controlled varying RPM, as confirmed by Cliff. I am not sure how aggressive the rpm varying algorithm is, I was proposing if it’d make sense to have different algorithms for quiet/cool studio use vs hot Summer outdoor use...

I meant for everyone who has an older unit with a basic fan header

wow, this is a heavy thread for someone like me considering purchasing a FXIII, I do own a AX8 that unit I believe has no fan and is very quiet, well except for me that is... heat, noise are paramount, sometimes it best for decentralized computing i.e. all in one unit, architecture planning for heat, hmm, no noise? then a big hefty heat sink is needed, possibly some liquid system too like the gamer PC's...

The fan of my new FXIII is also quite loud. Constant humming/vibrating when the unit is switched on. Doesn't bother me that much, but I'll maybe swap the fan in the future for a quieter one.

The fan of my new FXIII is also quite loud. Constant humming/vibrating when the unit is switched on. Doesn't bother me that much, but I'll maybe swap the fan in the future for a quieter one.

Mine has a slightly annoying hum. It's not faulty, it's just what you'd expect from a fan spinning at relatively high RPM. I can live with it given that in most use cases there will be other sounds that drown it out, but I am a little jealous of those who will be receiving the temperature controlled version!

The newer units have a temperature sensor IC on the mainboard. The original units do not have this.

Great and I'm glad for the noise sensitive folks here - no I am not being pejorative, but I'll happily keep my "long in the tooth," old, reject, last years model FX III ;) with the always on fan (I might even overkill it by adding a beefier/bigger/higher RPM fans - think Tim of "Home Improvment" type fan ) .

Actually I've ADDED an external cross vent (i.e., right side to left side) fan to blow what little heat there is out and away from unit.

I'm 70 I need this thing to last until I'm dust. This is my last guitar hardware AMP or FX, period wife said so! (of course she also said that about my next to last rifle, my next to two last guitars, my last home rolled gaming PC rig, etc.).

This is my last guitar hardware AMP or FX, period wife said so! (of course she also said that about my next to last rifle, my next to two last guitars, my last home rolled gaming PC rig, etc.).

I see you know that forgiveness is easier to get than permission.... ;)

Anyone got the new unit with the RPM varying fan yet? I wonder whether the fan turns on during normal use in a AC cooled studio?

I'm curious as well on how to identify if my Axe has the new temp-controlled fan or not. I bought it new from my dealer in Dec '19 but had FW 5.XX out of the box, so I suspect the unit left FAS HQ around March/April.

I'm happy to report that I haven't heard the fan in my III yet.

Since I got the III I took the the opportunity to finally replace the fan in my Ultra. That sucker was pretty loud.

+1 for fan noise here too. I’ve got a Silenx IXP-52-11 on rubber ‘ feet’’, installed by G66. But even though the specs say 11 dbA i can hear the motor spinning quite clearly (1600 rpm). It is not annoying when playing even at low volume, but it starts bothering me when I don’t and makes me want to switch the unit off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom