Noiselss pickups... for my Strat

funny_polymath

Fractal Fanatic
Interested in Zexcoil, Kinman, Dimarzio Area 61 and other Area pups, etc. I hear some people say they love these, others hate them.

I am looking for a pretty 'classical' strat sound (Mayer et. al.). Want the sound, not the noise. I did hear one guy playing kinmans, and they sounded... lifeless to me. Sort of like a three-dimensional strat sound squeezed down to two dimensions; a 'modeled' strat sound, if you will. But that could have been his strings, his amp, his fx, any number of things.

Any advice appreciated.

P.S. I am pretty much ONLY a single coil player. If the pup you're suggesting sounds like a humbucker, I ain't interested!

Thanks.

Have you considered the BPSSC system from Suhr? I have it built into my Suhr, which is even more effective, but the backplate also does a good job:

I like Bill Lawrence pickups. A couple of years ago, he made this new micro-coils that is supposed to be awesome. Not noiseless but no hum. I myself have not tried it.
I do have the L-280SN / L-280SM / L-290SL set. Pretty awesome sounding noiseless.

Here's the link to his website: Wilde Bill's NF Singles
and this: Home Page

The prices are pretty damn reasonable.

They are a pretty small shop. Nice couple. He is beating cancer and still going strong last I heard. It's a bit hard to navigate his site... I think his wife was the one who made it so it's not pro made.

Have you considered the BPSSC system from Suhr? I have it built into my Suhr, which is even more effective, but the backplate also does a good job:

On the video, I hear a bit of the tone being tweezed out with the backplate engaged. Probably not what I'm looking for, but thanks.

Both the BPSSC and the old SSC changed the tone.

I'd go with the Areas, they sound great. Kinmans as you say, are a bit lifeless. Duncan Classic stacks too.

On the video, I hear a bit of the tone being tweezed out with the backplate engaged. Probably not what I'm looking for, but thanks.

I heard that, but that could just as likely be because of his playing/picking position. Absolutely no difference with my body installed SSC here.

I second the kinmans...I put them in a Line 6 Variax, nice. I also have a strat w/noiseless pickups, but I may have to repalce them w/kinmans.

I installed Fender N3's in my Warmoth built strat. Sound good to me, but I'm always curious of the Dimarzio Area's. May have to try them!

Kinmans for me.
I have two Warmoths with Kinmans and I love 'em.
I'm having a new Chris Larkin made also with Kinmans.
Chris is a master luthier and he swears by Kinmans.

I second the Bill Lawrence single coils. I have them in a component built Strat. Authentic Strat sound to my ears, quiet as a church mouse and best of all very reasonably priced.

Back
Top Bottom