Bug? Noise

What should I do now? I bought it used from someone here in Europe. Am I f***ed now?
You're not f***ed until you've exhausted all options. Contact Fractal or G66 and open a discussion about the problem.

As mentioned earlier, I am sending my unit in for them to look at. Unfortunately with the time of year, shipping will take a while, but I will be sure to keep everyone posted as soon as I hear something. Thanks to the amazing folks at Fractal Audio and everyone here for their patience and suggestions.

Reactions: Rex
Just an update here:
I installed the beta and after fractal bot has finished the transfer my axe started to configure it but in the middle it freezes! the screen turned blank with black lines and a brizzeling noise appeared.
After a while a shut down the unit but now it doesn't start anymore! Just a blank display and all lights on. No startup nothing!

I received the unit back late last week. I was told they replaced some caps and tested the unit. When I tested the unit here I experienced the same issue.

I'm kinda at a loss, but I trust Fractal that the unit is fine and it is something else going on. I'm working with my patches to try and dial it out with limited success. Generally, it seems that dialing back the gain (obviously) and turning off the bright switch and compensating with treble/presence help. Not sure where else to turn as others post raw tracks with way more gain and no issue.

That's disappointing, I had pretty much the same issue with my Kemper when I briefly had one(luckily I was able to just return it) Have you tried different guitars? I was able to sit facing a certain direction with one of my Carvins w/humbuckers and get rid of that nasty decay but that's a pretty ridiculous solution considering if I moved the guitar at all the noise came back.

That's disappointing, I had pretty much the same issue with my Kemper when I briefly had one(luckily I was able to just return it) Have you tried different guitars? I was able to sit facing a certain direction with one of my Carvins w/humbuckers and get rid of that nasty decay but that's a pretty ridiculous solution considering if I moved the guitar at all the noise came back.

If the noise changes when you change direction that is noise being picked up by the guitar. This means something in your environment is radiating EMI. Common sources are light dimmers, flourescent lights, computers, etc.

I have multiple guitars that I have tried; It sounds like you are experiencing a different issue than I am. I am able to gate out the EMI, so that is not the issue.

Throughout the process Fractal has been great and I personally would like to thank them for their great support. Cliff responded to the thread earlier and became personally involved in my issue. While it is frustrating, I have every confidence in Fractal and now I have the peace of mind to know that my Axe-Fx is working properly.

I have multiple guitars that I have tried; It sounds like you are experiencing a different issue than I am. I am able to gate out the EMI, so that is not the issue.

Throughout the process Fractal has been great and I personally would like to thank them for their great support. Cliff responded to the thread earlier and became personally involved in my issue. While it is frustrating, I have every confidence in Fractal and now I have the peace of mind to know that my Axe-Fx is working properly.
Just out of curiousity, when isolating all components in your rig, have you tried a different cable? Sometimes people tend to forget about that possibility...

If the noise changes when you change direction that is noise being picked up by the guitar. This means something in your environment is radiating EMI. Common sources are light dimmers, flourescent lights, computers, etc.

Hi Cliff - I am trying to nail down what I believe to be a non-EMI noise source and I was just wondering what are the typical sources of noise that you have encountered that are outside of the sources listed in your post above.

E.g., a steady "shhhhhhhhhhh" noise that sounds like water running from a kitchen faucet in the next room, that tracks the AXE output volume in magnitude (top output knob on front panel), but does not change at all with a change in guitar pickup volume or guitar pickup position, does not sound like digital switching chatter from a computer, etc.?

I am not referring to typical amp "hum" noise that the input gate limits - the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" would not be affected by the gate at all. Assume a guitar with EMG Active-X pickups with a fresh battery, USA Sub Blues amp sim, the AXE top output knob set to 12 O'Clock on the front panel and run into a pair of active NEO CLR wedges on the floor at your feet at small-to-medium club gig volume level. I don't think its the active pickups, but will run a passive guitar through the system tonight to confirm.

EDIT: Cliff - Simeon just gave me the following suggestions in another thread (thread on Mesa USA Sub Blues) which I will try before bothering you on this issue. :)

well you can do various tests to track this down. first, i would unplug your guitar and cable from the front of the axe to rule out any rf interference

if the noise is still there, then simply try turning down the level of the amp block. if the noise disappears, then you know where it's coming from

page right a couple of times from layout view and turn the first two noise gate knobs all the way to the right. that should kill the noise entirely

plug the guitar back in and then reduce the threshold until the noise reappears and then dial it back so the noise goes away. do the same with the ratio. reduce attack and release, so the noise gate releases as soon as you touch the strings and stays out of the way as a note sustains.

if the noise is overbearing, it just means that you have too much gain. reduce gain and level and increase guitar volume. you may get less dynamics, but you could probably compensate with a couple of the advanced parameters...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom