Noise with active pickups

dargor

Inspired
Hi guys.
So I've tried to solve this issue but couldn't so I need some expert advise from you.

I'm having a weird noise (sounds like if I was doing harmonics) every time I palm mute and stop. Is not a big problem, but on recording you can tell there's that noise.
This only happens on my 7 string which has Duncan Blackouts, doesn't happen on my music man with passive pickups.

Any way to reduce that noise? is it the pickups fault and I'm doomed?

PS: I though it was my playing, but I tried on my schecter which has exactly the same bridge and I don't have the noise.

*tag* I'm interested as well. Both my active guitars are in the shop but I was wondering last night whether it might not have anything to do with gate settings.

It could be. But gain wise, I will have to turn the dial to were it sounds just overdriven. Meaning I will not be able to use high gain amps. So hopefully thats not te actual problem

Hey man, not sure if this will solve your issue but recently I was having a lot of problems with noise (cpu noise, weird crackling etc) and I solved all my issues with one trick. I got the trick from a Chimp Spanner video where he shows how he builds his tone on the PODHD (different beast, but the theory still applies). Rather than use the overall noise gate, try using a noise gate on both the FRONT and END of your chain as he shows in this video ( Quick HD Pro Rhythm Tone Test - YouTube ). Do your best not to choke the tone, but if the controls are set correctly it should both eliminate noise and tighten up your tone. I'm curious if it will work as well for you as it did for me. Good luck.

Sounds like a microphonic pickup type scenario?

I'm not a SD Blackouts user - but it does seem there's some debate on their noise output/microphonic feedback type issues for some high gain players - see here for one example

That thread has some saying the EMG X pups were better - I don't have those either but my EBMM Luke has the older style EMGs (maybe customised for Luke himself a bit?) and they can certainly give that nasty little squeak on palm mutes when using a high gained amp with the pre maxed out or close to it - maybe try pushing the master vol and reducing the pre/input gain? Try usng a dirt box too maybe?

Also if your guitar has a trem - maybe try damping the springs - wrap a scrunchie or something round them.

I have issues with this in my studio. Sounds like a high frequency cricket that never stops. I know its source is from something in the room because I can move the guitar around and make it better or worse. What I don't know is why its only when I'm using certain models. For example, when using the USA clean preset its dead quite where as the Brownface preset is chirping away. Keep in mind that these are "clean" sounds with no distortion. Would love to solve this riddle.

Well I've watched some videos on youtube about microphonic pickups and yes, those are the ones I have. Is waxing them the only solution?

Yeah that could also add to the problem. This guitar is still in factory condition Ill probably take it to a shop soon. Is guitar center a good choice?

Only when you are palm muting on high gain stuff?

Sounds like string resonance past the nut. You need a scrunchy, a groove gear fret wrap, or a jimmy clip to silence the strings. Setup has nothing to do with this at all.

No - Guitar Center is not a good choice for having your guitar worked on. Though they may have a guy that does a decent job, it's more likely that you'll get some ass clown that has no idea what he's doing other than some couple week course he took on setting up guitars. Find a local luthier by asking around and make sure it's not some fly-by-night weirdo working out of his backyard shack that doubles as a meth hut or something.

You could also try putting a small piece of foam rubber under the strings, just above the nut, if you happen to have some handy, and don't have access to any of the previously mentioned choices. Heck, just about anything soft under that section can at least let you know if that is the issue. If it is, then its just a matter of how you want to handle it for the long term. Hopefully this will resolve your problem. Good luck.

Cheers,

Lee

No - Guitar Center is not a good choice for having your guitar worked on. Though they may have a guy that does a decent job, it's more likely that you'll get some ass clown that has no idea what he's doing other than some couple week course he took on setting up guitars. Find a local luthier by asking around and make sure it's not some fly-by-night weirdo working out of his backyard shack that doubles as a meth hut or something.

I had a feeling someone was going to say that but I though I might ask anyway :mrgreen

I will try the thing above the nut and see what happens. I was going to take it to a shop anyway to replace the Blackouts with something passive (any suggentios besides Dimarzio?)

Back
Top Bottom