Noise Reducer Gate - Wow!

AlbertA

Fractal Fanatic
The new noise reducer type in the input gate is fantastic!

Listen to my Gibson with P90's - P90's seem to be a good torture test for any noise gate - this is with FW 12.07

• First clip is noise gate completely off - lots of nasty noise all over its spectrum.
  • Second clip is using the Intelligent Noise gate with -60 threshold, 1ms Attack, 100ms Release, Ratio 2 - It does it's job at removing the hum and gating but as the gate opens and the input decays the rest of the noise is still there.
  • The third clip is using the Noise Reducer type with threshold at 0 (Yeah I know), 1ms Attack, 100ms Release, Ratio 2. You can actually hear the natural decay of the chord now
  • 4th clip is using the same noise reducer settings but I just moved playing position a bit to further reduce the noise.
Listen to that decay... with P90's...

Last edited:
I got the best results by combining the noise reducer and the downward expander in the gate block. Basically the noise reducer turns down most of the noise without altering the attack and the tone too much, then the gate block takes off the residual noise and its threshold and ratio can be set much lower than usual.

Maybe a bit overkill but since I have spare cpu power why not?

Yes, you'll kill a bit of high end with it that high. It may color the midrange a bit too.

In all fairness, the now next best noise reduction, the ISP decimator does take off a tiny bit of high end as well, but in both cases it's not that noticeable unless you A/B it, a small tradeoff for being able to use otherwise UN-useable guitars on stage! So thank you again for this!!!!!

I got the best results by combining the noise reducer and the downward expander in the gate block. Basically the noise reducer turns down most of the noise without altering the attack and the tone too much, then the gate block takes off the residual noise and its threshold and ratio can be set much lower than usual.

Nah I'm also doing basically the same too. I used to do basically the same with a decimator in the front of the axe II and ultra.

On a side note as well, everytime I put on the iii I'm AMAZED at how quiet it is! Even the ii was noisy in comparison and that was no slouch to begin with!
Great job again FAS! 👏

Aggressive threshold settings are OK great for chord work, but single notes up the neck, some strange artifacts appear

Aggressive threshold settings are OK great for chord work, but single notes up the neck, some strange artifacts appear

Are you talking about the classic/intelligent gate? Because I haven't really heard strange artifacts here all the way up the neck with the noise reducer type even with threshold set at 0.

I know that elsewhere Cliff has recommended against stacking the reducer and a gate block, but didn't see any specifics as to why. Anyone else have more insight?

Back
Top Bottom