Noise problems (AX8 vs Axe-Fx III)

Vuorineuvos

Hi!

New Axe-Fx 3 user/owner here. I'm having problems with unwanted noise I'm getting from my Axe 3 and I'm not referring to my playing here. It's on a level that it's disturbing and you can hear it on all the factory presets too (except the clean ones). I really don't know what to do or try next because my AX8 is not having these issues. I tried my own preset and should have the same exact everything (used fractool) but totally different results noise wise. As if the Axe 3 has problems with shielding or something. I even moved the unit to the floor on same spot where my AX8 runs just fine. I don't want to adjust the gate just yet because my AX8 runs fine with the same settings, cables and guitars.

Any idea what to do next?

Is the Axe Fx 3 more sensetive in some ways?

I hope it's just some stupid thing that I'm missing.

There is a 20dB difference in the Noise Gate threshold on the Axe Fx III compared to prior Fractal devices.

So if the value is -65db in my AX8 I need to change it to -45db in my Axe-Fx 3? It does sound and feel a lot closer that way. The gate still acts in a weird way and lets through some rattle when palm muting. This happens in the "intelligent" mode. There is a little bit of that in my AX8 but not nearly as prominent. However the "classic" mode works a lot better. So maybe I use that and use the intelligent mode in my lead sounds.

Thanks everybody for your answers!

On a high gain preset on the AX8, go to the Input block and set the noise gate threshold fully counter clockwise to turn it off. Is the same noise there? If so, then it is affecting both units the same way, and the 3 just needs to be dialed in.

If you “need” -60 or so on the AX8 to not hear noise though, then that’s a bigger issue than the gear and should be solved. Masking noise isn’t as good as getting rid of the noise source no matter what gear or gates used.

So if the value is -65db in my AX8 I need to change it to -45db in my Axe-Fx 3? It does sound and feel a lot closer that way. The gate still acts in a weird way and lets through some rattle when palm muting. This happens in the "intelligent" mode. There is a little bit of that in my AX8 but not nearly as prominent. However the "classic" mode works a lot better. So maybe I use that and use the intelligent mode in my lead sounds.

Thanks everybody for your answers!
Yes. -65 dB on AX8 = -45 dB on Axe-Fx III.

On a high gain preset on the AX8, go to the Input block and set the noise gate threshold fully counter clockwise to turn it off. Is the same noise there? If so, then it is affecting both units the same way, and the 3 just needs to be dialed in.

If you “need” -60 or so on the AX8 to not hear noise though, then that’s a bigger issue than the gear and should be solved. Masking noise isn’t as good as getting rid of the noise source no matter what gear or gates used.

The noise was there when I turned the gate off. I think I've got the hattrick; bad power, inadequate grounding in my guitars and a dying guitar cable. New cable helped. Thank god it's not that bad anymore but still there is definitely some weird interference. Maybe the neighbour is mooding up the place with Tesla coils or something.

I'm just glad that both units are working. I think I'm trying different power sockets in different rooms next. I hope I don't have to get a power conditioner as I undersand a good one is pretty expensive one.

The noise was there when I turned the gate off. I think I've got the hattrick; bad power, inadequate grounding in my guitars and a dying guitar cable. New cable helped. Thank god it's not that bad anymore but still there is definitely some weird interference. Maybe the neighbour is mooding up the place with Tesla coils or something.

I'm just glad that both units are working. I think I'm trying different power sockets in different rooms next. I hope I don't have to get a power conditioner as I undersand a good one is pretty expensive one.

I have exactly the same problem as you.

as @chris and @FractalAudio has pointed out, I did all those things.

I have good cables, checked everything to be exactly the same, but I always get a lot more noise using III.

Have no idea what to do.. any ideas ?

Last edited:
I have to turn off my new ducted Mitsubishi air conditioner to stop a high frequency buzz. Nothing else works.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom