Noise Only When Playing

Armando

Hello,

I've had my Axe-Fx II for a few months. Recently I started hearing noise whenever I play anything on my guitar and it disappears when I stop playing. Even if I'm not muting anything and I have my guitar volume knob on max, I don't hear it.

It kind of sounds like interference, but I don't understand why it would only be there when I'm playing. I tired different presets clean, dirty and the problem is always there. Also there's no issue during playback when I use the Axe as my audio interface.

Any ideas what this might be or how I could fix it?

Thank you and let me know if you need more info.

Sounds like your guitar creates noise. You hear it only when playing because that's when signal comes out of your guitar producing the noise.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sounds like your guitar creates noise. You hear it only when playing because that's when signal comes out of your guitar producing the noise.

Do you think it might be a wiring issue? Or the pickups?
When I use the parallel setting on my neck Humbucker I don't hear the noise, all the other configurations are noisy.

And @Rexgtr I have an Ibanez S7420 with a Liquifire and DActivator Bridge both passive.

It's probably an electronics issue. Something may have gone wrong with the wiring. Maybe take it to a tech to look at? Just for the sake of eliminating variables also try a different cables, a different power outlet (on a different breaker), and a real amp if you can (or go direct).

Armando, You have after market installed pickups, sounds like they weren't installed correctly causing the 60Hz buzz.
DiMarzio has wiring diagrams for various guitar pickup configurations, you might want to download a few of those and check the color coding of the 4 wire pickups and the bare wire to ground. Make sure your shield/grounding is good.

It kind of sounds like interference, but I don't understand why it would only be there when I'm playing.
The noise cuts out when you stop playing because that's when the noise gate kicks in. If you turn off the noise gate, I bet you'll hear the noise full time.

Assuming you're using the same guitar in the same place, and the interference is a new development, I'd start looking for something new in the house that's causing the interference. A new dimmer somewhere, a new florescent bulb somewhere, a new computer monitor or wireless router—or one that's closer to your guitar...

@ertan, @toolfanem, @Rex
I had the noise gate on, I tried turning it completely off and it's still the same issue, I only hear it when there's a signal from the guitar.

@ConnorGilks
I tried different cables, and different outlets, at first I thought I found an outlet that didn't cause the noise, but then I started hearing it there too.

@Rexgtr
Yeah I'll go through their diagrams and make sure everything is hooked up right.

@ertan, @toolfanem, @Rex
I had the noise gate on, I tried turning it completely off and it's still the same issue, I only hear it when there's a signal from the guitar.
Are you sure the input noise gate was completely off? Threshold all the way down? If so, that's pretty unusual. Post a clip so we can hear what it's doing.

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply. I took the guitar to a tech, he pretty much rewired the whole thing, checked grounds, cleaned pickup switch and everything. But the problem is still there.

I recorded a small clip so you can hear what I'm talking about. It seems to have something to do with where I am in my room. During recording I was rotating in my chair, and you can hear how the noise comes and goes.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

@Rex

That sounds like gated interference. Can you post the another clip with the noise gate entirely disabled?

That sounds like gated interference. Can you post the another clip with the noise gate entirely disabled?

Yeah, you're right, I had disabled the input gate, but I forgot that there's another gate in the signal chain. Anyway, here it is without any gate.

Are you sitting near a laptop or computer tower? Stop rotating when the noise is loudest, then move forward and back. Does the noise level change then? This can be a clue about whether the source is nearby, or something stronger/farther away that doesn't change much over short distances.

Reactions: Rex
Any chance you have a florescent light fixture nearby? If so, is there any change if you turn that fixture off? If that resolves the sound, and you've had the same fixture prior to having this issue, perhaps a ballast going wonky?? They do go out at some point. Cheers and good luck with finding your unwanted noise.

Lee

I don't have any lights on, I have a laptop and a monitor, but unplugging them didn't help.

The noise doesn't change much when I move back and forth facing.

Isn't the whole point of a humbucker to cancel this kinda noise?

Back
Top Bottom