Noise Issue With FM3

L_N

Recently purchased an FM3 and noticed that it is always making a crackling type of sound, even when it is just taking a clean DI, although gain definitely makes it much louder. I have compared the fm3 signal to the sound of the same guitar and cable going through a Steinberg UR22 interface and the FM3 is making noise that the UR22 is not.

For whatever reason it is especially noticeable on the decay of palm mutes, but is definitely always there no matter what's being played.

Was wondering if anyone has insight on how to solve this, what the cause might be, of if I should just contact fractal about the warranty since I've only had the device for about a month.

Thanks!

I've noticed some weird sounds with mine as well, but I think it's the electric in my house. Recorded at a studio over the weekend and I didn't hear any of that.

Not sure if this is the best way to share the sound clips, but I've attached a zip file with some audio samples to this reply.

Attachments

• Audio Samples.zip
    5 MB · Views: 26
I've noticed some weird sounds with mine as well, but I think it's the electric in my house. Recorded at a studio over the weekend and I didn't hear any of that.
I see, might try some different outlets then and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

What is your exact signal chain (from fingers to ears) where you're hearing the noise? And is the gate on?
Sorry, just realized you could also be talking about the built in input gate, and that one actually does seem to be effecting the noise. If I turn the gate offset and/or the threshold all the way down it seems most if not all of the noise will go away. I have no idea what's happening or why those settings are affecting the noise.

Thanks for making me check out the gate settings.

Sorry, just realized you could also be talking about the built in input gate, and that one actually does seem to be effecting the noise. If I turn the gate offset and/or the threshold all the way down it seems most if not all of the noise will go away. I have no idea what's happening or why those settings are affecting the noise.

Thanks for making me check out the gate settings.
I meant turn the gate all the way off (so the threshold all the way up? I forget exactly which way is which lol). I'd be curious if it's just normal guitar noise that you just hear because of the gate's behaviour or what; but it does sound like that's what it is; not something coming from the FM3 itself. Turn the gate all the way off (so the noise is loud and constant; no gating. Then try turning off any computer monitors and other noise-producing things.

I did notice that in the setup page if I turn "noisegate offset" all the way down, and/or I turn the input gate's threshold off, the sound seems to go away. I'm still not sure why these settings are effecting the noise, but at least I have a way to get rid of it now.

I guess the only thing I'm wondering now is if this sounds like something that should be happening, or if something isn't working properly in the FM3?

Should probably also add that adding a gate block seems to be fine, it's just the input gate that causes problems so far.

I meant turn the gate all the way off (so the threshold all the way up? I forget exactly which way is which lol). I'd be curious if it's just normal guitar noise that you just hear because of the gate's behaviour or what; but it does sound like that's what it is; not something coming from the FM3 itself. Turn the gate all the way off (so the noise is loud and constant; no gating. Then try turning off any computer monitors and other noise-producing things.
I see, just gave that a try.

Unplugging/turning off any other devices in the room definitely got rid of some noise, but the gate seems to be the main issue. Turning the gate all the way off got rid of most the noise. I noticed that turning the ratio down to 1 also works, so it seems anything will do as long as it turns off the input gate.

It seems weird that a feature that is on by default would be adding this much noise to the signal.

I see, just gave that a try.

Unplugging/turning off any other devices in the room definitely got rid of some noise, but the gate seems to be the main issue. Turning the gate all the way off got rid of most the noise. I noticed that turning the ratio down to 1 also works, so it seems anything will do as long as it turns off the input gate.

It seems weird that a feature that is on by default would be adding this much noise to the signal.
I think you've got it backwards; the gate is stopping the noise that's already there lol. Are you using a single-coil guitar? HB guitars will have some noise, too, but SCs are notorious.

Not sure if this is the best way to share the sound clips, but I've attached a zip file with some audio samples to this reply.
Yeah, that sounds "broken". Not sure what is is though.
Have you checked if the FM3 input is not clipping? If it does, you need to increase the input padding.

Back
Top Bottom