Noise/interference issue, can someone help?

Dudeskin

Inspired
Hi all,
so, i have a problem with static style noise/ the usual interference noises.
i have my Macbook running, even without recording i get noises through my monitors normally and way more when i scroll windows or something.
less noise when its not plugged into the wall, but i still get the same noise hen i scroll.

this is annoying because i seem to not be able to record cleanly.
i can run my axe fx into my mbox interface and notice a level without even playing. making it hard to record things like DI tracks.

i found one of those Ferrite cable clamp things (no idea what they are called) and clipped it around the power supply for my monitors and the mac and a bit went away (it now doesnt irritate me so much haha) but i still have noise.

this is if im plugged 3.5mm from the mac to my monitors or to the Mbox 2.

im finding it impossible to record clean tracks or ideas and its starting to bum me out a little really.

anyone got any tips for me to try?
any other info that would be helpfull just let me know.

cheer

Joe

Sounds like either
A- A ground loop hum
B- Unshielded/unbalanced cables
C- interference from another source (lighting, equipment etc)

My advice is to strip your rig to the most basic config then check your cables, guitar shielding, proximity to interference and get somebody to check the Earth Continuity in your property.

Failing that, this might be a question for Cliff himself to have a stab at.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Also, try plugging your monitors straight into the Axe Fx and see if that helps. You may have a bad connection in the MBox or a connecting cable.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

cool, thanks guys.

what is a ground loop?

if i plug my monitors into the mac straight off, i get the noise and stuff. ill try axe fx straight into monitors later.

i have my Macbook running, even without recording i get noises through my monitors normally and way more when i scroll windows or something.
This is a know problem of some macbooks with firewire and the external display port.

If you google "macbook firewire ground loop" you'll open the Pandora's box.

Sometimes you can solve the problem plugging the external monitor (or other equipment) in a different socket, possibily far from the socket where your MB is plugged in.

Back
Top Bottom