Noise gates on dual chains

Hansen

Experienced
I am running dual chains, one to FOH and one to FW Loop. The chain for FX loop is just in case I need extra stage sound. That way I can easily connect to a cab. But I won't mic the cab, but go straight to FOH.
For my chain to the FOH I have a gate at the start and at the end of the chain (high gain preset). Is it not possible for me to also have a gate for the other chain? Seems I can only have two gates in each presets?

There's a gate available even without using the gate block. If you turn your guitar volume all the way down is the patch noisy? I ask because the axe-fx itself doesn't really generate noise but it can amplify external noise significantly. Do you have any pedals in front or anything else in the loop?

There's a gate available even without using the gate block. If you turn your guitar volume all the way down is the patch noisy? I ask because the axe-fx itself doesn't really generate noise but it can amplify external noise significantly. Do you have any pedals in front or anything else in the loop?

It's only the axe connected to my studio monitors. But it's close to the computer (obviously). Can that create extra noise?
If I turn off the gate in the start of the chain I get some noise just without playing.. Not bad, but easy to hear. That is why I have a gate in the beginning and the end of the preset. But using two gates on the chain to FOH, makes it impossible to have a gate on the chain to Fx Loop.

The gate in the layout, is that pre or end of the chain?

It's only the axe connected to my studio monitors. But it's close to the computer (obviously). Can that create extra noise?
If I turn off the gate in the start of the chain I get some noise just without playing.. Not bad, but easy to hear. That is why I have a gate in the beginning and the end of the preset. But using two gates on the chain to FOH, makes it impossible to have a gate on the chain to Fx Loop.

The gate in the layout, is that pre or end of the chain?

Yes, the computer can cause a LOT of noise. The reason I asked if it was noisy with the guitar volume turned down is THAT is the noise that the AxeFx is creating. Should be basically nothing in your setup. With your guitar volume turned up, any noise you hear is what is picked up by your magnetic pickups (computer and other environmental things. What both Hubertus and I are getting at is that you can probably get away with only using the gate in the layout which is indeed at the beginning of the chain. That's what Cliff designed it to do, and it use to be the only gate. I believe the gate blocks came into play for the sake of gating things in the loop or maybe creative use of a gate. Just gate the input and it won't matter how many places you send it because the Axe isn't making any noise of its own.

Hm.. Strange, because when I bypassed the gate at the start of my chain, I had noise... Shouldn't the layout gate fix that?

How about taking a look at the "layout" gate and adjust it? ;)

Why do you need the gate at the end? For a "chopping" efx/extremely quick note release efx?

Why do you need the gate at the end? For a "chopping" efx/extremely quick note release efx?

I do not know. It was my friend who advised it. I have no knowledge about this. Is it normal only to have a gate in the beginning of the chain?

Since there are no strict rules when it comes to this stuff you can really have the gate anywhere in the chain that it sounds good. But just go by ear. The key is to make sure that your input gate threshold is not set to high, otherwise you will actually start losing gain since it is essentially the same as lowering the input trim. Play with the input gate the most since it will have the most effect on the actual tone. From there the gate at the end can basically be set to kill, fastest attack, fastest release, hold to taste but the faster the better if your doing quick stops. And having more than one gate is definitely not an issue. I am pretty sure that periphery is using three gates in there setups in addition to the amps noise gate for a total of four.

I generally have a few different gate settings depending on what I am playing. Tight rhythm playing gets multiple gates that are fast and aggressive, solos get the complete opposite, only using the gate to clean up whatever low level noise is coming from the amp sim when I stop playing.

The Axe's blocks don't generate noise by themself, so an input noisegate is all you need to tame the noise.

In the real world every component adds noise so the best noise gates detect the signal from the input and work on the output to kill the noise.

Since there are no strict rules when it comes to this stuff you can really have the gate anywhere in the chain that it sounds good. But just go by ear. The key is to make sure that your input gate threshold is not set to high, otherwise you will actually start losing gain since it is essentially the same as lowering the input trim. Play with the input gate the most since it will have the most effect on the actual tone. From there the gate at the end can basically be set to kill, fastest attack, fastest release, hold to taste but the faster the better if your doing quick stops. And having more than one gate is definitely not an issue. I am pretty sure that periphery is using three gates in there setups in addition to the amps noise gate for a total of four.

I generally have a few different gate settings depending on what I am playing. Tight rhythm playing gets multiple gates that are fast and aggressive, solos get the complete opposite, only using the gate to clean up whatever low level noise is coming from the amp sim when I stop playing.

toolfanem - great recording, great music.

Back
Top Bottom