Noise gates - Axe-Fx III vs NS-2 / ISP Decimator / ISP Decimator II

phil92

Experienced
so, I'm fighting some pretty bad EMI that I have tracked to one particular corner of the room. On the other side of that wall is the breaker box. Go figure.

While trying to get rid of all the noise I tried multiple noise gates / noise suppressors: the Boss NS-2, an ISP Decimator and the Decimator II.

Out of those three the Decimator II did the best job, and, as people say, sounded the most transparent. But I think they're cheating a bit; to my ears it sounds as if they're boosting the high end after the noise suppression.

Anyway; none of them could keep up with the Axe FX III input block gate. It's quicker to react, feels smoother and while I need some pretty aggressive threshold settings (up to -37 dB for truly high gain sounds), the Decimator II had to be set to even more dramatic settings.

So, if you're experiencing some really bad noise, EMI, hum, hiss,whatever, do your own experimentation of course, but my bet is that with the correct settings the input block's gate will get you much further than any outboard gate.

Back
Top Bottom