Noise Gate Threshold and Release Approaches

jesussaddle

Power User
If you don't mind gibberish, here it goes. Since this new firmware I've been like a kid in a candy store. One of the results is that with my rush of new preset creations, I've begun wondering what is possible with noise-gates, noise gating, and even space beings tapping into... Oh, never mind about that - maybe it was just an Outer Limits episode called O.B.I.T.

...Not entirely off topic because that was about how easily signals can find their way without your knowing how they do it or how to control it. You'd think that by the 21st Century humans would have invented a noise gate that can remain open when a guitar note is sustaining, but close and remained closed when there is only a completely unruly signal like pure fizz.

But scientists have yet to grapple with this. Its high on their list. But until we properly define "wanted", and "hostile totally covert invasion carrying the Good Housekeeping seal of approval", there is always the possibility of an unwanted signal tapping in, or a wanted signal being shut out.

After not being able to get a noise gate setting that worked with my rhythm and lead styles simultaneously, I found this on the Axe FX II Wiki:

"A different approach to keeping the noise low: try a Vol/Pan effect with its volume parameter tied to the Envelope controller. As long as you don't hit the strings, the (input) signal is off."

Basically, this requires picking the string, which apparently launches an envelope, that will continue to be held open with sufficient signal. And once the sound gets reduced in level, the envelope will close. And there is a Threshold setting determining when this happens. While my note is sustaining, albeit a little faintly, i can just wiggle it and this re-starts the envelope, great for lead, even not at high, musical-feedback-producing volumes.

(Side question - is it also possible to use the ADSR 1 & 2, and are there any advantages?)

But my question is, isn't this basic envelope controller method awfully similar to the actual noise gate?

Or do I not understand?

When I attempt to use this, it works great on a reasonably clean signal. And I can see that it would be fine for metal rhythm. But both metal rhythm and Santana sustana, not so much.

So what I'm sort of wondering is whether there is something totally different that is possible - a gate that responds only to unwanted material (which I'm guessing is usually loud in certain higher frequencies relative to its overall spectral content, I guess because these are the harmonic ranges that guitar produces when put through too much signal boosting, or some such).

With a very noisy metal type preset, if the release closes quickly enough on unwanted fizz, it closes too quickly on long, Santana-esque sustaining notes.

What I'm seeking is a way I can sustain a reasonably coherent musical event even as it gets incredibly soft, yet have the effect go into action more aggressively for the intrusive electronic fizz. It would seem to me that if Cliff can create a synthesizer that figures out what pitch and what octave is being played, then he could figure out what a note is and what basically unorganized fizz is (since the inability of note detection is the sign that a signal isn't a reasonably pure "note"). But even without that, it would seem that a basic analysis block in the block choices could be used to control other block parameters in cool ways. I'm just not sure if it happens in the near present, or if it happens further along on the timeline.

But either way, two possible methods I recommend are shown here:

https://ia800806.us.archive.org/11/....t.avi_90/TheOuterLimits-Tos-1x07-O.b.i.t.mp4

I doubt you will get the Vol/Pan (or especially the ADSR) to give you a result as good as the dedicated noise gate, which is actually a downward expander with a sliding lowpass filter IIRC. I know of no gate that uses means other than amplitude for signal detection, even if it is restricted to a specific frequency band. A guitar note is comprised of more than a fundamental wave and harmonics. It contains noise, especially on the attack. You also want pick scrapes and other quirky noises to come through. Some algorithms can learn the signature of some background noise and remove it, but I don't know if it can be done in real time.

I doubt you will get the Vol/Pan (or especially the ADSR) to give you a result as good as the dedicated noise gate, which is actually a downward expander with a sliding lowpass filter IIRC. I know of no gate that uses means other than amplitude for signal detection, even if it is restricted to a specific frequency band. A guitar note is comprised of more than a fundamental wave and harmonics. It contains noise, especially on the attack. You also want pick scrapes and other quirky noises to come through. Some algorithms can learn the signature of some background noise and remove it, but I don't know if it can be done in real time.
For most things the volume with an envelope controller works way better fit me than a gate.

My settings:

Threshold 75 - 65 dB
Ratio 2.30 - 3.00
Attack 1
Release 75 (unless a specific preset needs faster release)

In some cases where nose is generated within the preset, I put a Gate after the amp block.

One approach that works for me when using multiple Scene presets for Clean, Rhythm, Lead, is to use a Scene controller to vary the threshold of a noise gate block, with the threshold value being relative to the gain/noise of a given Scene. I use this approach in multi-scene presets, instead of using the "one for all" input gate. I place the gate block after the amp.

If your noise is in a certain frequency range you could try a filter set to that frequency and controller linked to envelope.

For what you like I use a TC Electronic Sentry pedal but I'm under the impression the "intelligent" noisegate setting on the Axe FX input does the same.
(Compare incoming guitar signal with signal from noisy/hissy distortion pedal in the send-return loop of the Sentry pedal and gate the noise. Gate activated by original incoming guitar signal)

Sentry gate routing.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @jesussaddle

Perhaps you have completely overlooked the difference between "CLASSIC" and "INTELLIGENT" gate types?
I've always chosen to use the intelligent type. Which I do think works well. Sorry to be so picky, but I play around with a lot of high tech gadgets and was just looking forward to something completely futuristic.

I'm going to try Yek's suggestion of placing a gate after the amp block - part of the noise is guitar hum, and part is drive gain/amp noise.

For most things the volume with an envelope controller works way better fit me than a gate.
I'm going to list my settings on the Control Page and the Noise Gate (incoming, not gate block).

On the control page I have the threshold at -100 db, the attack as quick as possible, the release at 18 ms, and the gain at 2.59. The Volume Envelope settings (Axe Edit right click on yellow "control" icon) is default except with a 7.2 degrees slope. Volume Taper: Log 30A

The dedicated noise gate, intelligent mode, is excellent, and the use of the Envelope controlling a Vol/Pan block is excellent. For me the difference is that using an Envelope is much more predictable, when at the beginning of the chain, and that was my original preferred location. My goal is to create a template to re-use over and over, and get the settings in it that are most favorable for a scene, in most situations. I haven't done a lot with placing noise gate blocks mid chain, and I lack knowledge of that but my assumption would be that its a better way for me to go on my template, placing it after the last amp block.

But its interesting that there are those weighing in saying they prefer the envelope method and others that say the noise gate intelligent mode would be more effective and I think this can boil down to expertise in settings, chain order and so on.

The Santana-esque sustains, present when turning gain up beyond conversation level, work fine up to the point when they're dropping out. Its that "dropping out" point that really is the entire reason I posted. So Yek's suggestion is completely germane to this, because placing the noise gate after the amp block will keep the sudden drop out from happening because it is solely happening due to the initial guitar signal driving it rather than the driven signal. Duh!

But obviously for a template, the idea of using a controller to vary ratio or threshold depending on scene is a very useful suggestion either way.

For controlling this I would prefer not to use of foot pedal, but maybe a mini controller.

Ideally something wireless. Gonna do a search on wireless MIDI /usb controllers.

Last edited:
While we're on this subject I have a question. On the input-gate, at the beginning of the chain, why does the gain meter at the bottom of the screen always get pegged as soon as you play a note? I see no adjustment for it. Thanks guys.

Some algorithms can learn the signature of some background noise and remove it, but I don't know if it can be done in real time.

While in final year of university where my best friend and I studied electronic engineering, his dissertation was on software-based removal of noise from signals (specifically airliner pilot transmissions) to make it easier for the listener to understand. These absolutely worked in real time - analysing the noise and removing it. However they used very sophisticated algorithms (surprising given my best mate was using them!) and powerful computers. It really worked.

As a side note he used a reference book from the library for the theory, and it was without doubt the smelliest book I have ever come across. Wonder if it is still humming on the bookshelf of Bath university (23 years later!)?

Cheers Gilesy

Last edited:
I frequently have to use my presets in an electrically noisy environment. I frequently get some baseline noise in high gain presets but what drives me insane is noise on an extended note. My presets are setup to kill this hissy high end noise on singing notes without artificially cutting it off... 'Gates' are not really good at *reducing* noise/hiss riding on a signal.

For some reason all of this lives in the high frequency area so my method leverages that:
  • For baseline noise: intelligent noise gate set to the minimal thresh and ratio to just stop noise when not playing
  • For hissing: Filter block, LPF, Frequency controller attached to envelope.
    • CRITICAL: play a note or have someone else do it or loop something and:
    • Raise the starting point of the controller curve until it barely covers the noise.
    • Change the end point and slope so the filter goes fully transparent quickly as the note rises.
This works better than anything I have tried. I wish every piece of gear/plugin etc I had access to could perform this function. The 'envelope' controller is just brilliant.

So I use a two pronged attack. The gate to truly hard gate the noise floor and this weird active filter to handle HF hiss. Each is application specific and the settings are minimal as possible for the patch. This gives a maximum transparency as these noise things can kill your feel, etc. To me the using VOL to kill noise that just lives at the high end is not nearly as satisfactory. It is too heavy handed and diminishes tone/feel more.

I am not at my axe but can post a preset at some point if needed.

Last edited:
I frequently have to use my presets in an electrically noisy environment. I frequently get some baseline noise in high gain presets but what drives me insane is noise on an extended note. My presets are setup to kill this hissy high end noise on singing notes without artificially cutting it off... 'Gates' are not really good at *reducing* noise/hiss riding on a signal.

For some reason all of this lives in the high frequency area so my method leverages that:
  • For baseline noise: intelligent noise gate set to the minimal thresh and ratio to just stop noise when not playing
  • For hissing: Filter block, LPF, Frequency controller attached to envelope.
    • CRITICAL: play a note or have someone else do it or loop something and:
    • Raise the starting point of the controller curve until it barely covers the noise.
    • Change the end point and slope so the filter goes fully transparent quickly as the note rises.
This works better than anything I have tried. I wish every piece of gear/plugin etc I had access to could perform this function. The 'envelope' controller is just brilliant.

So I use a two pronged attack. The gate to truly hard gate the noise floor and this weird active filter to handle HF hiss. Each is application specific and the settings are minimal as possible for the patch. This gives a maximum transparency as these noise things can kill your feel, etc. To me the using VOL to kill noise that just lives at the high end is not nearly as satisfactory. It is too heavy handed and diminishes tone/feel more.

I am not at my axe but can post a preset at some point if needed.

I wold love it if you could post a preset as an example. I have several presets that could benefit from something like this.

While we're on this subject I have a question. On the input-gate, at the beginning of the chain, why does the gain meter at the bottom of the screen always get pegged as soon as you play a note? I see no adjustment for it. Thanks guys.

The meter indicates how much gating (level reduction) is happening. The available gate parameters all affect the gate/meter. When input level exceeds the threshold, gate opens fully (0 dB on meter).

Reactions: JT2
On the control page I have the threshold at -100 db, the attack as quick as possible, the release at 18 ms, and the gain at 2.59..

Threshold at -100 dB would mean the gate isn't working... :(

Default is -80.

I wold love it if you could post a preset as an example. I have several presets that could benefit from something like this.
Here is a 100W Plexi w/ Treble Booster; sort of an old skool Sabbathy deal (AFX2 mk2 FW 6.02). There is an intelligent gate at the input and the filter is early in the signal chain. Examine the controller on the frequency and you can see that the curve is tweaked. I do this for the specific preset it will look significantly different on different presets and I do not use it on every preset, only the presets which have hiss/sustained noise issues, the intelligent gate is always my first line of defense, I do have some where the noise floor is no issue and I *only* use this filter technique.

For this preset, in my practice room (wiring is noisy in this room) without the filter long held notes and chords hiss and sputter in a very noticeable/bad way. With it enabled it sounds more natural and only a fraction of the noise gets through as the note decays but it does not choke the note like a gate.

Attachments

• Treb-boost Plexi100W.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for sharing this!!! This technique solved a noise issue that I've been trying to tackle forever with a noise gate alone and was getting nowhere.

Here is a 100W Plexi w/ Treble Booster; sort of an old skool Sabbathy deal (AFX2 mk2 FW 6.02). There is an intelligent gate at the input and the filter is early in the signal chain. Examine the controller on the frequency and you can see that the curve is tweaked. I do this for the specific preset it will look significantly different on different presets and I do not use it on every preset, only the presets which have hiss/sustained noise issues, the intelligent gate is always my first line of defense, I do have some where the noise floor is no issue and I *only* use this filter technique.

For this preset, in my practice room (wiring is noisy in this room) without the filter long held notes and chords hiss and sputter in a very noticeable/bad way. With it enabled it sounds more natural and only a fraction of the noise gets through as the note decays but it does not choke the note like a gate.

Threshold at -100 dB would mean the gate isn't working... :(

Default is -80.
"I'm going to list my settings on the Control Page and the Noise Gate (incoming, not gate block).
[I GOT A LITTLE LOST. I DIDN'T GET AROUND TO DESCRIBING ANY GATE SETTINGS. THE -100db is the Control Button (front panel, mark 1) envelope page threshold setting.

Replace with this:

"Under the control front panel button, I have the threshold at -100 db, the attack as quick as possible, the release at 18 ms, and the gain at 2.59. The Volume Envelope settings (Axe Edit right click on yellow "control" icon) is default except with a 7.2 degrees slope. Volume Taper: Log 30A".

I'm not sure the difference in behavior, but I think that a low threshold for the envelope just means that its triggered as soon as any, even -100, level is detected, because this setting does work, it does trigger an envelope, which does eventually drop per the other settings, which in turn makes the volume block cut the signal.

What I do in my preset template now is have both the envelope-to-vol block method, and the gate after the amp method, and just bypass them as needed. And scenes make this a good tool, having both available, although I have noticed if X-Y's are not available for the gate and vol blocks.

I am pretty nooby about all this I must admit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom