Noise Gate Settings

Overdrive

Inspired
I've used compressors, expanders, and gates for many years, from rack mount dbx units to pedals and now the Axe. I intellectually understand the explanations of how they work when I read them, but have a hard time translating from my conceptualization to putting it into practice. I've gotten fairly good at setting them up by ear, plus knowing settings that have worked well for me in the past (for example, -40 threshold works well on my ISP Decimator).

But I wondered if anyone would like to share their settings for a gate for a high gain amp preset, such as the JVM OD1 or OD2 or Jumped 100 Plexi? And whether you use the Input Gate or a Gate/Expander block, or both?

TIA!

its actually super simple to make a good gate on the axe fx. i use the one on the layout page and not as a block in the grid. i turn the ATT and REL all the way down, RATIO at 2 and THRSH to taste, for me its between -55 and -50 ish. thats pretty much the only parameter i ever adjust. its an amazing gate and better than any I've ever used.

my input gate settings are generally -75 dB, maybe 6:1 ratio, fastest attack, maybe 100ms release.

remember, if you make your gate cut out "noise" that is just as loud as the real notes you want, you'll start missing some of those real notes.

i don't play heavy chugging music, so i don't need gates after the amp. however, i do use high gain sounds. if you're fighting feedback, it means the guitar can "hear" itself too well. move the speaker away from the guitar. a noise gate won't "seek out" feedback specifically. it operates solely on input level.

my input gate settings are generally -75 dB, maybe 6:1 ratio, fastest attack, maybe 100ms release.

remember, if you make your gate cut out "noise" that is just as loud as the real notes you want, you'll start missing some of those real notes.

i don't play heavy chugging music, so i don't need gates after the amp. however, i do use high gain sounds. if you're fighting feedback, it means the guitar can "hear" itself too well. move the speaker away from the guitar. a noise gate won't "seek out" feedback specifically. it operates solely on input level.

I keep mine a bit lower but the use same concept.

Attack: 1ms
Release: 100ms
Ratio: 2:1 - 3:1
Threshold: adjust according to ambient noise

This. ...although Chris' idea of higher ratio versus threshold might work, too. Gating after the amp block, as well, I sometimes do but very lightly to minimise any masking, like Chris mentions. In essence, gating is best in small doses - unless you're wanting something SUPER tight. I don't know why the gate block defaults the threshold at -40, whoa.

Great info. I'll try all these settings. I use a lower threshold and lower ratio than the consensus here, maybe the higher ratio with higher threshold will work better.

I'm mostly trying to get rid of that noise your right hand makes when it scrapes on the strings while you're muting, etc., while playing.

With my physical Marshall, I use an ISP Decimator with the threshold at -40 right after the guitar and volume pedal, plus a Boss NS-2 first thing in the FX loop. Works great with the JVM's OD1 and OD2 channels on Red. It was always trial and error with the dbx compressor/expander/gate.

With the Axe, I sometimes use a gate block, but usually just the Input Gate. I'm looking forward to trying you guys' settings!

Attack: 1ms
Release: 100ms
Ratio: 2:1 - 3:1
Threshold: adjust according to ambient noise

Great tip! :encouragement:

Is the threshold setting adjustable from scene-to-scene in a given preset? :)

Not home to check right now, but that certainly would be a useful feature IMHO.

the ambient noise shouldn't change from scene to scene.

i've been using a higher ratio lately so my sustained notes don't die out. using the lower (more negative) threshold usually gets me a bit more actual signal, then it drops really quick when it finally passes the threshold.

when i say "noise" i mean the usually very slight hum you hear with the guitar all the way up and you not muting any strings (not any string vibration/notes). high gain amps amplify that noise, and that's what i try to get out using the noise gate. anything louder than that, i should be able to control with my hands by muting and/or positioning of speakers etc to prevent unwanted squealing and feedback.

I actually use these settings and they work very well for me with high gain sounds:

threshold: -80db
ratio: 4:1
attack: the fastest setting
release: also the fastest setting

If there still is noise maybe raise the threshold a little and/or ratio.

the ambient noise shouldn't change from scene to scene.

:eek:

I was thinking about ambient noise in the context of stage/band/compositional dynamics.

So you might want to change the threshold from scene-to-scene depending on what your mates are up to on stage (e.g., band quiets down, you play a soft solo guitar part for a few measures and then everyone comes crashing in again) ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I actually use these settings and they work very well for me with high gain sounds:

threshold: -80db
ratio: 4:1
attack: the fastest setting
release: also the fastest setting

If there still is noise maybe raise the threshold a little and/or ratio.

that at is about what I use but I like the release at 100ms or the gate gets a little chattery for me.

:eek:

I was thinking about ambient noise in the context of stage/band/compositional dynamics.

but the sound other instruments make doesn't affect the actual "noise" coming into your guitar. so you shouldn't have to open up or close the gate due to what others are doing.

Usually that's the case. Some of the models I love, like the Mesa Subway Blues have this "shhhhhh" noise (as opposed to "hmmm") that I'd like to suppress during the quieter moments. It's not a real problem though. :)

Ahh I see. Well use the gate in the Layout screen. Then put an additional gate in the grid and turn it on when you need it :)

Thanks Chris. Tweaking bright caps, etc., dials some of the "shhhh" out, but not every amp has those parameters. :)

Here's an old tutorial I made in March 2012 about how to use a gate.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...body-who-wants-more-dynamics-pick-attack.html

If I'm not trying to increase my dynamics, I set the Input Gate Threshold and ratio low, so my notes don't get cut off and then I use the Gate/Expander [GTE] Block after the Amp Block and set Ratio as high as it will go, Low Cut to 80, Hi Cut 2500 and SCSEL(sidechain) to Input 1 to silence any amp noise. I control the Gate/Expander [GTE] Block's threshold w/ an expression pedal, so I can lower it for solos and increase it for tight rhythms.

For both gates I set the Attack to 1ms, Release to 100ms and Hold to 1ms.

Back
Top Bottom