Noise Gate Help

Jeggz

Inspired
I shut the Input Block gate off, and put a Gate Block after my Amp Block, with it set to read off Input 1.

But still it’s either choking my sustain, or not cutting my feedback at VERY loud volumes.

What’s you guys doing?

Seems like you have a setup like Leon todd is showin in his vids ? Have you tried to check the Leon Todd, vids he shows the settings he is using there. Adjust threshold to taste, Attack time 1-2ms, holde time and release 10 ms if I have this values right in my mind ? please go to youtube and check it there, but it is a setting for HB PU´s. Gate Type Downward Expander

Seems like you have a setup like Leon todd is showin in his vids ? Have you tried to check the Leon Todd, vids he shows the settings he is using there. Adjust threshold to taste, Attack time 1-2ms, holde time and release 10 ms if I have this values right in my mind ? please go to youtube and check it there, but it is a setting for HB PU´s. Gate Type Downward Expander
That’s pretty much how I have it set.

hmm ok, so I am using it the same way, honestly i dont have 100% zero hum but it is noticeable more quiet than not using a gate, but i prefer to have sustain and live with a little bit of noice and turn my volume on the guitar down when not playing. I know that doesnt solve your issue. I believe some other Members here in the forum will have other opionons or even better solutions to your question.

I shut the Input Block gate off, and put a Gate Block after my Amp Block, with it set to read off Input 1.

But still it’s either choking my sustain, or not cutting my feedback at VERY loud volumes.

What’s you guys doing?
Noise gates don’t prevent feedback. They just “turn off” signal at a certain threshold.

If you are at loud volumes and it’s feeding back, it’s too loud. A gate won’t “exclude only the bad sounds.” It doesn’t know what the bad sounds are compared to the sounds we want to keep.

You have to source WHY it’s feeding back.

Noise gates don’t prevent feedback. They just “turn off” signal at a certain threshold.

If you are at loud volumes and it’s feeding back, it’s too loud. A gate won’t “exclude only the bad sounds.” It doesn’t know what the bad sounds are compared to the sounds we want to keep.

You have to source WHY it’s feeding back.
While what you’re saying is correct, I don’t have this issue if I use a Zuul or Endless Blockade. So there’s gotta be a happy medium in the FM3 somewhere.

I put a downwards expander in front of amp block with nearly default settings.

Sidechain: input1
Threshold: adjust to taste, so it works nice
Ratio: 4+ to silence the signal to low enough level.
Attack: 10ms
Release: 100ms
Hold: 1ms

This works great. It does not do some strange feedbacks when opening or closing the gate and doesn't cut the signal.

I turn the input gate OFF

Sorry to bump this if this has been resolved, but I am curious if someone can post the Leon Todd video explaining his noise gate setup.

For context, I previously used a Fortin Zuul in my Mesa Mark IV rig as the last pedal before the amp input with my guitar signal split and being fed into the Zuul key input. This worked incredibly well and I'd love to recreate this in my FM3.

I've found the Input block gate lacking for what I need. So I have that bypassed and now use a Gate block after my Amp block set to be sidechained via the Input. Is this effectively doing the same thing as the Zuul, or would I still want/need some gating on the Input block?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom