noise gate for single coil

greg

Inspired
I've been thinking of switching from noiseless single coils to regular single coils, because of the tone. But I hate the hum.
I'm new to the FM3. Does the noise gate in the FM3 help eliminate single coil hum? If it does, does it change the tone?

That's what I figured. Someone told me he uses the noise gate in the FM3 for his single coils. Thanks!

Set the gate in the Input Block to Noise Suppresion and select the correct AC Line Freq in Global.

FWIW, that mode doesn't work as well for me as intelligent on my EJ strat.

I find the high frequency interference more annoying than the hum I hear, especially when I get close to the computer.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid of single coil hum. I have a budget noise gate and it works wonders on my Tele and Strat, even at death metal chuggage gain levels. I haven't done gig-level playing with these guitars, but the guitarist in my last band used a Strat on several songs and hum was never an issue.

But also, if you like what you have then there's little reason to change it for the small chance that the new pickups will be better at everything and worse at nothing. There's always trade-offs with pickup swaps.

Don't be afraid of single coil hum. I have a budget noise gate and it works wonders on my Tele and Strat, even at death metal chuggage gain levels. I haven't done gig-level playing with these guitars, but the guitarist in my last band used a Strat on several songs and hum was never an issue.

But also, if you like what you have then there's little reason to change it for the small chance that the new pickups will be better at everything and worse at nothing. There's always trade-offs with pickup swaps.
I love this, well said :)

Not sure I can live by it myself, but it's a nice idea...

I love this, well said :)

Not sure I can live by it myself, but it's a nice idea...
Ha! I think its fine to do pickup swaps... I sure do... but knowing what you're getting into is important!

So many times on these forums people are like "I want tighter attack" or "more sustain" or "juicier tone". Well, when you change a pickup you're actually changing one of the foundations of your sound. This can be good, bad, most often it's both. You may get one of the attributes you desire but at the cost of something else. Every once in a while you get lucky and it sounds amazingly perfect, but IME it usually takes a few swaps to be satisfied... sometimes even swapping back to the original pickups :)

If you're happy with the pickups you have, a thorough shielding job will do wonders for reducing noise from interference. I have two Ibanez Prestige Talmans that have low output, vintage voiced single coils. Both guitars are fully shielded, and both are extremely quiet as far as noise rejection.

I don't like hum. I talked to a guy who does guitar work, and he said noiseless single coils work best with 500k pots. So I may just try that.

If you're happy with the pickups you have, a thorough shielding job will do wonders for reducing noise from interference. I have two Ibanez Prestige Talmans that have low output, vintage voiced single coils. Both guitars are fully shielded, and both are extremely quiet as far as noise rejection.
+1
I've got humbucker guitars that are too noisy on stage due to all the lighting. Copper tape shielding helped greatly. I've used the conductive paint and it does help, but not nearly as well as the copper tape.

Good luck with your pickup swap though! If it doesn't work I would definitely recommend trying the tape.

I can't help it, I've been seriously infected with GAS for a Suhr, with their noise reduction setup. Specifically a Scott Henderson, for a bunch of reasons including that. Ideally with stainless steel frets, which doesn't exist except as a full custom order, which I can't afford even more than I can't afford the stock version.
EDIT: And is also quoted as a 12-16 month wait.

Last edited:
I can't help it, I've been seriously infected with GAS for a Suhr, with their noise reduction setup. Specifically a Scott Henderson, for a bunch of reasons including that. Ideally with stainless steel frets, which doesn't exist except as a full custom order, which I can't afford even more than I can't afford the stock version.
I'm actually really excited to wear one of my guitars' frets down to the point where I need new frets just so I can get some stainless steel ones! Lol, check back in a few years

I too installed some Buzz Kill tape in my Strat and it did wonders for the hum. That Hum is inherent with the design of single coils, learn to roll your volume off a bit during times when you most notice it and all will be fine. Personally, I try to only use a gate when absolutely necessary. MHO

I have the Fender Noiseless High Gain in my Squier Strat and Fender Vintage Noiseless in my Squier Tele.

They work well and I am very pleased with no GAS to change them out.

Back
Top Bottom