Noise Gate flutter

Dyloh

Anyone have any trouble with setting the noise gate in the axe? It's one thing that for some reason troubles me a fair bit when it comes to a super heavy downtuned tone, I either set it relatively low so it cuts out any unwanted noise there might be but this causes a "flutter" when muting or i set it a super high threshold but then it cuts off any and all sustain. I can't seem to find a middle ground. Is there even such a thing am I asking for too much maybe?

Hmm I've tried multiple settings but I usually start at around -70db threshold 2.00 ratio a super fast attack and release time then I'll try an tweak until I get rid of the noise or the flutter just havnt stopped tweaking though haha I also don't play with too much gain so I don't think that is my problem

I tend to only mess the the threshold though I haven't experimented with the ratio too much but I usually go as high as -30db but by that time it has started eating into my tone an only maybe just started getting rid of the flutter

Have you checked your cables as well ? Your settings look OK so I'd start checking cables to make sure.

Nah that's one thing I haven't check you think that could be the cause? I originally thought it was my muting technique but I have tried so many different ways now I'm pretty sure that can't be it I'll have to go buy some new cables thanks for taking the time to help mate. Bloody champion

Have you tried bumping up your release time a little? Just high enough that you hear a little of the noise floor after you mute a note, then bring it back down to cut that little bit of noise out. Then it just needs a minor tweak if you change your threshold or ratio.

I have given it a lil tweak but maybe not enough to say that that's not my problem I just thought I obviously want it to be super tight so giving it more release seems counterintuitive but I'll give it a whack thanks mate

Gray,
The fast attack and release times will be your issue. I have a fast attack but slower release to eliminate that.
Thanks
Pauly

Oh really? I didn't know that I'll definitely give the attack and release times more notice from now on thanks fellas for being champions and lending your time to help.

Oh really? I didn't know that I'll definitely give the attack and release times more notice from now on thanks fellas for being champions and lending your time to help.
Yep. Real interference fluctuates. If you're running your noise gate super-tight, and you've got it dialed right to the edge of the noise, it'll flutter in and out as the noise varies.

Also try a noise gate block after the amp block, it might work better in high gain scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom