Noise Gate Fizz

I have a patch I made using an AC-30. Trying to get a lush clean tone. I kept hearing a fizz as the sound fades out. I isolated everything and realized it was the intelligent noise gate. So far, I'm really not happy with the gate but this is a nightmare - I'm trying to leave behind my ISP Pro Rack G but I like a tight gate but it can't have fizz in my reverb trails or my guitar tone choked. I guess I have to keep the ratio low and maybe turn up the threshold? What about Input Z?

Anybody mastered this gate who can give me some tips?

Don't use extremely low attack/release times with intelligent gate. Try adding about 5 ms if either of these are around 5 ms or less now.

Thanks I think that helped a little bit. I still have to keep my ratio under 2 and I have to crank my threshold to -25. On the ISP i used to have it around -40 but that unit is very set-and-forget. I guess with more flexibility of the Axe gate, you have to really be careful with it. Do you save a gate block for every guitar and gain level (high or low) that you use?

At first I was totally in love with the Intelligent Gate, but ultimately I've moved away from it as the benefits it offers don't outweigh that fizziness on the tails, which I also wasn't able to escape. If there are any Pro Tips in this regard, I'd love to hear them.

Do you save a gate block for every guitar and gain level (high or low) that you use?

Not really, usually just per preset. Some presets might only get used with one guitar/bass.

If there are any Pro Tips in this regard, I'd love to hear them.

Try suggestion in post #2 if you haven't. Continue increasing attack/release times until fizz reaches acceptable levels. For higher ratios use higher times. With ratio at 4, attack 15 ms and release 45 ms seems pretty good.

I have the same issue with the Intelligent Noise gate. I tried doing a 'reset' on the noise gate, and then tweaked the settings. That seemed to get rid of the weird sounds...

I've had the same issue with the "fizz" as the sound is fading out. I'll have to try and tweak some settings as suggested in the thread. Already messed around with it quite a bit and could never seem to get it fizzless.

Back
Top Bottom