Noise from FASLINK II cable [solved]

Adman103

Power User
I just made a snake with an XLR cable for the FASLink II connection, a 1/4" cable for the instrument cable from my pedalboard so I could run a couple of my favorite drives, and a 9v DC cable, and I'm getting a pretty bad whine coming through that only disappears when I unplug the xlr cable- has anyone else run into this? I thought the cables were all shielded well enough to be able to deal with that- I remember getting something similar in the old days with a midi cable running to my MFC-101 with the tap tempo. Has anyone else had noise issues with the FASLink II cable being next to their instrument cable?

Edit: Never mind, I think I'm dealing with running the pedals on the same power supply as the Axe. Darn it. Mods, this can be deleted. Sorry for the trouble.

2nd Edit:
After some experimentation, and to clarify the problem in case someone else has a similar issue, I'm setting up a pedalboard with two FCs. I have a 6 and a 12. The FC-12 is powered through the FASLink II connection, and the FC-6 is powered by a OneSpot power source. I had the OneSpot plugged into the back of my rack, and I ran a 9v extension cable via the snake to the pedalboard, where I had the FC-6 and several other pedals (a Polytune, a Blackstone and a KTR) daisy chained together for power. I was getting a high pitched whine coming through the Axe, and after futzing around with it, it looks like any pedal just being plugged into the same power chain as the FC-6 gives this whining noise, even if the pedal isn't connected to the signal chain. Seems strange to me, but running the FC-6 on a separate adapter than the other pedals gets rid of the noise completely.
So, I'm going to remake the snake (ugh) with a powercon cable to power the board, and have two separate adapters on the board- one for the FC-6, one for the pedals.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom