Noise filter block?

MonilGomes

Hello everyone,,
I know the AX8 has a great noise gate, and two filter blocks that can do notch filters, but what I'm looking for is a comb filter so I can take out all the multiples of 60 Hz (or 50 Hz for some of you) and eliminate hum from single coils. There are plenty of DAW plugin's that do something similar (Izotope's hum removal is basically this), and if done properly is very effective and transparent.

I have tried using the filter blocks first to high pass at 120Hz, and then to notch out two of the harmonics. You can absolutely tell the difference with the filter in, but simply removing two frequencies doesn't make the hum any less objectionable - just slightly different sounding.

Maybe this is beyond the CPU power of the AX8, but hopefully not. Noise gates don't quite cut it for quiet passages, esp when there aren't a bunch of other instruments to mask the noise.

I’ve never seen anything like this in guitar pedal form. I’d look into shielding the cavity of your guitar.
Agreed, eliminating the hum at the source will give better results than allowing it and trying to fix it later in the signal chain. Effective as iZotope is at achieving usable results: even there a hum free signal yields better results than a well treated signal in post.

Not super helpful, but worth noting that the Axe-Fx III has an improved intelligent noise gate which specifically aims to remove hum.

Back
Top Bottom