Noise/electricity problem during live gig last night

As i mentioned above, i also tried hooking via a regular guitar cable to the mixer and the problem remained... i don't know how much it has to do with the sound system, because the already present and appearing noise on the VU meter was there even though my channels were muted.

If you mean by that that you tried plugging directly into the P.A., w/o using the AX8 at all, and the problem remained, then there's your answer.
It's the P.A.
Not the AX8.

If you mean by that that you tried plugging directly into the P.A., w/o using the AX8 at all, and the problem remained, then there's your answer.
It's the P.A.
Not the AX8.

But I see now, after rereading your OP, that that's not what you meant.
Oh well.

Last edited:
Those are the presets I used.

Attachments

• heavy harmony.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Living on a Prayer.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 7
I'm interested in what the problem is. I think you covered every thing that I could think of myself. Cables, guitar , different outputs, different unit, turning off stage monitors. Then taking it home to your controlled environment. And, of course everything is working fine again....
The only other thing I could think of is the electrical issue the sound man brought up. Or anything different on your global I/O settings? Really sounds strange! Good luck, I hope you find the problem.

Soundcheck went good then FOH lost it's scenes due to 'electrical' problem overnight and then noise suddenly appears from your AX8 as the engineer sets up the sound again .... yet back home it was fine.

Sort of indicates it was a venue power supply issue ...... wonder did the 'electrical problem' mean they had to jerry rig up some new cable routing and you were sharing your supply with a few light dimmer packs or something ..... and maybe more worrying .... was it all earthed properly?

You can pick up an isolator that you put between your equipment and the venue power supply which might help with 50/60Hz hum ..... and ensure all your gear uses the same supply socket.

The FX unit that you borrowed maybe had an external power supply too which would have kept a lot of dirty power noise away from the processor?

Mystery. Tweeter squeal is a weird phenomenon too, going close to big PA speaker makes the guitar go crazy, but that's not the case here.

Hi, I looked at your preset, it is definitely more noisy than most of mine. No squeeling, but a lot of hum. I noticed you used a pretty aggressive high cut on your drive pedals in both presets. What is the purpose of that?
Definitely a lot of high end in the preset. I'm sure it has no problems cutting through.....

Im
Hi, I looked at your preset, it is definitely more noisy than most of mine. No squeeling, but a lot of hum. I noticed you used a pretty aggressive high cut on your drive pedals in both presets. What is the purpose of that?
Definitely a lot of high end in the preset. I'm sure it has no problems cutting through.....
I'm still carving my tone since ive had the unit for a month or so. some settings are unintentional. Now that i remember the power relay that i connected to did not have the earth plug.. i dunno if this had a huge effect in generating the noise. I have a feeling the problem happened when they hooked up the lighting effects... bcoz during soundcheck there was none.

If they ran lights from the same power as your Ax8 that might be the issue. When we used old style lights, we had to run them from a different power source than our audio, or we would get excessive noise. Now we use LEDs only, so now there is no noise issue.

Happened to me at a banquet center a few weeks back. But it wasnt just me, it was the other guitar players tube amp as well. Any sort of volume roll up on our guitars gave an uncontrollable inteference sound. Tried ground lifts, manual ground lifts, isolating circuits, running through power conditioners, disconnecting a security light outside 20 feet up, turning all the lights off, flipping breakers, turning a nearby freezer off...nothing. Just had to deal with it and realize that 90% of the crowd wont know a difference.

Happened to me at a banquet center a few weeks back. But it wasnt just me, it was the other guitar players tube amp as well. Any sort of volume roll up on our guitars gave an uncontrollable inteference sound. Tried ground lifts, manual ground lifts, isolating circuits, running through power conditioners, disconnecting a security light outside 20 feet up, turning all the lights off, flipping breakers, turning a nearby freezer off...nothing. Just had to deal with it and realize that 90% of the crowd wont know a difference.
My problem was super loud squeeling where i couldnt even play.

Oh it was bad trust me. I could only be maybe halfway up the volume knob and it would be going nuts. And im in a country band, so its pretty timid. If i even tried to hit an overdrive it went insane. I ended up getting someone to run back to my house and grab a guitar with humbuckers and it got rid of enough to make it through the night. Its hard to pinpoint what your issue was exactly, but unless that becomes the norm, i wouldnt consider it a cause for concern. Ive done about 50 shows with my ax8 that i got in april and its only happened once.

Oh it was bad trust me. I could only be maybe halfway up the volume knob and it would be going nuts. And im in a country band, so its pretty timid. If i even tried to hit an overdrive it went insane. I ended up getting someone to run back to my house and grab a guitar with humbuckers and it got rid of enough to make it through the night. Its hard to pinpoint what your issue was exactly, but unless that becomes the norm, i wouldnt consider it a cause for concern. Ive done about 50 shows with my ax8 that i got in april and its only happened once.
Well i was using Humbuckers as well and my pickups are hot Dimarzio Evolutions

Ground loop. The reason the backup didn't do it because it was isolated from ground via the external power supply.

Back
Top Bottom