Noise and gate

-60 on the III is the equivalent of -80 on the II or AX8

Maybe I'm hopelessly deft, but I don't get it. -60 dB on III cannot possibly be relative to 0 dB on II.

Yeah, but that's about standalone analog gear. We're talking about an effect block in a digital unit. When something is set to a negative value in dB, I expect it to be relative to 0 dB FS. I don't understand what it has to do with Axe-FX II, or some strange "gate input level"?

Suppose I never had an Axe-FX II. Comparison to it doesn't explain anything.

When I set it to -60 dB on Axe-FX III, what's the actual value in dB FS?

I've been battling with EMI since I got my Axe-Fx and set it up 2 weeks ago. I haven't been able to eliminate it entirely, but I have managed to get it where it's no longer bleeding through with mutes or decaying notes.

What I have done to help the situation is plugged all the audio equipment and computer into a power conditioner. I keep the instrument input level between 5%-10%. 0% eliminated it nearly completely, but there was a noticeable (not significant) change in gain that I did not enjoy. I also picked up a Rocktron Hush 2X -not a gate- (Micro Hush will work if you don't need/want two in/outs on the Hush) that goes in front of the Axe-Fx.

As I said, it hasn't eliminated picking up interference in all situations completely. Super high gain amps with OD pedals in front of 'em can really amplify any interference. Overall though it's much more useable now than it was 2 weeks ago.

Good luck to ya. EMI blows lol.

Maybe I'm hopelessly deft, but I don't get it. -60 dB on III cannot possibly be relative to 0 dB on II.

not 0; -80

Yeah, but that's about standalone analog gear. We're talking about an effect block in a digital unit. When something is set to a negative value in dB, I expect it to be relative to 0 dB FS. I don't understand what it has to do with Axe-FX II, or some strange "gate input level"?

Well, I guess there you'll have to ask the man himself

I've been battling with EMI since I got my Axe-Fx and set it up 2 weeks ago. I haven't been able to eliminate it entirely, but I have managed to get it where it's no longer bleeding through with mutes or decaying notes.

What I have done to help the situation is plugged all the audio equipment and computer into a power conditioner. I keep the instrument input level between 5%-10%. 0% eliminated it nearly completely, but there was a noticeable (not significant) change in gain that I did not enjoy. I also picked up a Rocktron Hush 2X -not a gate- (Micro Hush will work if you don't need/want two in/outs on the Hush) that goes in front of the Axe-Fx.

As I said, it hasn't eliminated picking up interference in all situations completely. Super high gain amps with OD pedals in front of 'em can really amplify any interference. Overall though it's much more useable now than it was 2 weeks ago.

Good luck to ya. EMI blows lol.

And before you got your Axe-FX, you didn't have EMI?

A power conditioner doesn't help with EMI, by the way. Maybe you're having power supply problems, but that's a different thing.

And before you got your Axe-FX, you didn't have EMI?

A power conditioner doesn't help with EMI, by the way. Maybe you're having power supply problems, but that's a different thing.

It was likely there, but I didn't notice it as much. I also wasn't recording here so perhaps I was paying less attention to it. True about the conditioner, like I said, I haven't eliminated interference completely. But those steps have reduced the level of interference I seem to be picking up.

Back
Top Bottom