• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

NoGD - PRS SC 245

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Well, I did it and went ahead and bought it. (Favorite Single Cut Thread)

It's a 2015 SC 245 / McCarty
Pups: 58/15
I switched the controls and the turned the selector switch so the bridge volume is closest end selector up selects the bridge pup.
With the layout of the controls I can have the volume of the bridge pup close enough to do violin swells .
This is one of the reasons I was looking for a SC 245 or SC 58.
Compared to My Heritage H 150 with SD '59s, it's a tad brighter and has a bit less output.
But still close enough.
I think this settles my lust for a single cut LP style.......for now ;)
SC 245 (Small).jpg
SC 245 (3) (Small) (2).jpg
SC 245 (4) (Small).jpg
SC 245 (4) (Small) (2).jpg

Jirai

Inspired
That's a beautiful guitar! I went last year with a McCarty 594 and it became instantly my favorite guitar. But then Paul's Guitar arrived...

Greg Ferguson

Experienced
Very pretty.

I was playing my SC-245 for a couple hours tuning a Mk IV preset this afternoon, and enjoying how the guitar felt and sounded.

I tweaked mine a little while back, raising the pickup pole pieces a little to follow the curvature of the neck. It brightened the pickups a little but I'm undecided if I like that sound or the traditional humbucker sound with the pole pieces flat against the covers.

Now you need to go after a PRS DGT. Mine is my sweetheart; It's a Goldtop with finish checking, scrapes, dents and worming on the back. It's a blast to play and, with .11s on it, has a really good Grissom-like growl to it. It looks and sounds like Grissom's in this clip, except mine has been more abused.

Last edited:

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
Thanks all.
I did find it on Reverb.
The pics are taken outside so it shows the figure quite clearly.
In the house, it's a bit darker.
I guess it'll look fabulous with some spotlights shining on it.
But the main thing is it plays and sounds wonderful.
If I were to change one thing cosmetically, I would swap the rings for chrome ones and the pups for black ones - no covers.
And the DGT.....I was also looking at that one so never say never :)

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I know but I'd hate to ruin them.
Apparently there's some wax between the cover and the bobins and if I clean it, I could ruin them or at least it would be difficult to return them to their original state.
Ands I was thinking about putting the same pups as in my Heritage H 150 and my Anderson Cobra T, a set of SD '59s.

Greg Ferguson

Experienced
I know but I'd hate to ruin them.
Apparently there's some wax between the cover and the bobins and if I clean it, I could ruin them or at least it would be difficult to return them to their original state.
Ands I was thinking about putting the same pups as in my Heritage H 150 and my Anderson Cobra T, a set of SD '59s.
They’re potted, according to my guitar tech, so you run the risk of making a mess or damaging a coil when removing the covers. Plus I never noticed an improvement in the sound when taking them off on other pickups.

The pickups that come on it are good quality; I’ve left all my PRS stock, whereas I used to swap them out on all my Gibsons.

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I know they're good, that's why I don't want to pull of the covers and risk damaging them.
I would only want to take the covers of for cosmetic reasons.

sherry71

Inspired
Thanks all.
I did find it on Reverb.
The pics are taken outside so it shows the figure quite clearly.
In the house, it's a bit darker.
I guess it'll look fabulous with some spotlights shining on it.
But the main thing is it plays and sounds wonderful.
If I were to change one thing cosmetically, I would swap the rings for chrome ones and the pups for black ones - no covers.
And the DGT.....I was also looking at that one so never say never :)
I have a 2013 DGT and just picked up this yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom