no whats in V9.0 thread yet?

Tonally not that different. It's hard to explain. The tone is basically the same but the breakup is different and the feel is different. I think it's unanimous with the beta testers that it's just better.
for lack of better term, and that's a word we all (the beta testers) seemed to agree on, notes feel "rounder". I don't think to most it'll be a "damn, I have to re-tweak everything" update, but like a little technician climbed into your amp and made everything sound just..nicer...

I guess more drive pedals isn't going to happen this update. I would love to get a barber direct drive in the axe. We don't really have a good high gain marshal based drive pedal on there right now. The sure riot that cliff mentioned one time would fit the bill as well.

I guess more drive pedals isn't going to happen this update. I would love to get a barber direct drive in the axe. We don't really have a good high gain marshal based drive pedal on there right now. The sure riot that cliff mentioned one time would fit the bill as well.

i agree. the shredmaster just isn't a very dynamic and musical sounding pedal. i would love to have a couple of more higher gain, marshall-esque drive blocks. the direct drive would be great as would the riot, the MI audio crunchbox, and a few of the wampler pedals

I'm looking forward to trying v9. Versions 7 & 8 overdriven tones just haven't worked for me, I think probably because I prefer for a slightly atypical drive balance: less drive on low notes than on higher notes and harmonics, with tone balance restored by post EQ.

X/Y lets you have different settings. The scenes only allow you to call up on/off combinations of the various effect/amp blocks and their respective X/Y status.

FYI:

New power amp modeling with improved dynamic response. This new modeling features improved transformer/plate interaction modeling resulting in better feel. The Supply Sag parameter is more responsive as a result. Additionally, crossover and transformer hysteresis distortion modeling is improved resulting in more overtones when playing softly. This also improves controlled feedback performance and yields a more aggressive tone at lower Power Tube Bias settings. The Global menu allows the choice of Version 9.xx, 8.xx or 7.xx modeling to suit individual tastes. Note that Version 9.xx is slightly quieter so don’t be swayed by Fletcher-Munson effects when evaluating differences.

Can anyone define what agressive means here?

This whole scene thing for us strictly live guys is really something I look forward to. People always want more this and more that but there is plenty of stuff in there now way beyond what a normal gigging guy might need. Adding functionality and a way to tie it all together really pushes my buttons.

I have to laugh when I read about guys with other stuff typing they have 2000 amps. WTF? How many mid gain/clean/high gain tones do you really need? After you have a few of each they start to sound the same pretty much. To me it's what you can do with what you have that makes the biggest difference.

All the pedals and amps in there can be morphed so many different ways it really is already nearly infinite in the tonal creation department.

This whole scene thing for us strictly live guys is really something I look forward to. People always want more this and more that but there is plenty of stuff in there now way beyond what a normal gigging guy might need. Adding functionality and a way to tie it all together really pushes my buttons.

I have to laugh when I read about guys with other stuff typing they have 2000 amps. WTF? How many mid gain/clean/high gain tones do you really need? After you have a few of each they start to sound the same pretty much. To me it's what you can do with what you have that makes the biggest difference.

All the pedals and amps in there can be morphed so many different ways it really is already nearly infinite in the tonal creation department.

Zent...completely agree. I'm VERY excited about this scene feature. As a live player, it will totally change the way I use my LF Jr and frankly gives it more mileage. Right now I'm using the LF Jr in 6IA mode so I can bank between amp rigs and then turn on and off effects individually. Instead of using those 6IAs just turn on and off individual effects, now I can group some things together and bring in the X/Y states so I can use slap delays for rhythm and longer delays for lead...if needed.

The next functional upgrade of this type that I would love is some sort of patch leveling utility or maybe even a volume leveler like you see on digital music where it brings everything down to one common level. I try to level patches with sound meters and by ear using the methods described, but invariably the patch variations still get me on stage especially when switching guitars. For those who have soundmen actively running the entire show, they have an out. For those who run their own sound and onboard or outboard tools to improve this would be huge for me. I'd take that over new amps any day.

BTW, regarding amps, I've found that I keep coming back to the same ones. I probably do 75-80% of my gigs with the Plexi Treble. That is my sound. I like the Friedmans, Orange, and the Bogner Ecstasy for harder stuff and the Diezel and EVH5150 for the heavy stuff (which is 2% of what I play).

Tonally not that different. It's hard to explain. The tone is basically the same but the breakup is different and the feel is different. I think it's unanimous with the beta testers that it's just better.

ahhh... this is quite interesting...
does this specifically refer to power amp [rather than preamp] breakup??
cos many of us hi-gainer types tend to use MV values that are on the lower / cleaner side
and so if this is the case we may not notice much of a change

just curious...

anyways...
looking forward to 9.0,
looking forward to finally bringing my 6.2 presets up to date..
looking forward to finally running the Axe up through my backline
and looking forward to the UK Fest

cos many of us hi-gainer types tend to use MV values that are on the lower / cleaner side

just curious...

anyways...
looking forward to 9.0,

It's strictly a change to the power amp modeling. However, the change is relevant even at low MV settings since crossover and hysteresis modeling has been improved. These distortions occur at the zero crossing as opposed to clipping distortion.

It's strictly a change to the power amp modeling. However, the change is relevant even at low MV settings since crossover and hysteresis modeling has been improved. These distortions occur at the zero crossing as opposed to clipping distortion.

I have no Idea what that means Cliff, but it sounds awesome. Thanks

just curious...

anyways...
looking forward to 9.0,

Looking at my notes; my impression of 9.0 power amp modeling is thus: The word I keep coming up with is "liquid". Everything has more juice, is more round, has width and feel. It's subtle, but at volume, it becomes more and more apparent to me. Switching between 7.xx, 8.xx and 9.xx (which is a fantastic option by the way) bears it out more and more. 8 and especially 7 is very 'sharp' - brighter, harsher, edgier, brasher. You can get the highs to sing more in 9.xx and it allows you to turn up the presence and/or treble more with a more liquid result. When you hammer it, it's sweeter but has more balls. (*Note for the metal/aggro guys - lower the power tube bias and you get the harsher/sharper transients on the highs)

IMHO, it is just more musical. I came off a great 2 night stand playing 5 sets (!) a night about 250 miles from home this past weekend, and was VERY happy with it (prior beta).I am a fan of 9.xx modeling.

Today I learned about physics:

Hysteresis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am always excited for new firmwares. I have yet to be disappointed in the improvements with each new release. I am especially excited for scenes - it'll make reamping a whole lot more awesome if I can send MIDI messages to the Axe in such ways. I really will need to start learning how to set up MIDI to send information to the Axe-II over USB (this is possible, yes?)

Back
Top Bottom