No sustain

Got a ?. On my patch with a ts808 model on a CV patch bases on SRV his tone had lot of sustain and power and when I bend go my note just dies after 1 second and does not hold sustain. Is there a way to fix this. Plus I even put 2 808 models to try and add more kick ass boost.
Thanks

Dan

more gain doesn't always mean more sustain.

SRV played heavy strings with high action. that means a ton of sustain.

sustain really depends on good setup and clean strings. anything keeping the string from vibrating and nothing after the guitar can really help.

also check the Gate in the Input block or any other gates you may be using for a threshold set too high, cutting off quiet notes.

Input block noise gate?

Assuming I'm deciphering your first sentence correctly... It's a bit of mess ;)

Just turn the noise gate off and see if it gets better. If that's not it, you can rule it out.

What string are you bending and on what fret? Does the note only die out when you bend it? If that's the case, I'd say your guitar frets or your technique are the issue, not the Axe-Fx. Also, how close are the pickups to the strings?

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
She string are you bending and on what fret? Does the note only die out when you bend it? If that's the case, I'd say your guitar frets or your technique are the issue, not the Axe-Fx. Also, how close are the pickups to the strings?

Yeah I'd look here first. The axe fx just amplifies the source it's getting , so if it's not getting sustain id check the source first.

Play unplugged and see if it dies off the same way. You could have issues with frets, pickups or height adjustment, or even your bridge being too high.

Additionally, some fretboard radii make bending almost impossible, such as the 9.5 one

If these are all good, look at the noise gates and input gate, turn them off and see if it makes any difference

Also I agree with unix-guy, I can't quite understand what you're trying to say in the first sentence....is English your main language?

...Additionally, some fretboard radii make bending almost impossible, such as the 9.5 one...
Huh? I play several MIM Strats with a 9.5" neck radius, and I easily bend the living daylights out of my strings.

And they don't start fretting out at say the 15th fret etc when you do whole tone + bends? :O Lucky you!

Every 9.5 I've played is great for chords, not so great for bending

Are you sure you don't have a compound radius?

SRV's hands were SRV's hands (and his guitar set-up was the result of much trial & error work with his tech Rene Martinez). I don't have his hands and neither do you, nor do I play a Strat with HEAVY strings – but don't let that stop you from trying to find what works for you.

Keep at it and you'll figure it out – and please let us all know what you find/learn!

And they don't start fretting out at say the 15th fret etc when you do whole tone + bends? :O Lucky you!

They're plain ol' 9.5 inchers, not compound. One of them gets a bit wonky with whole step bends on the high E after about the 18th fret, but not enough for me to mess with it. I'm running my action relatively low, but not super shredder low.

Reactions: jon
Additionally, some fretboard radii make bending almost impossible, such as the 9.5 one

I have a 7.25" radius Silver Sky here that bends just fine above the 12th fret.

Noise gates are my biggest sustain killer. Especially with single coils because you want to dial it in high so you don't get all the 60 cycle hum but it requires a very high threshold. I let some hum through because the strat just sounds better and doesn't get gated when it's not supposed to. I would suggest playing with with the new noise reducer gate type in the input block as of 12.06.

Back
Top Bottom