No Sound with Behringer Power Amp into 4x12 Peavey Invective speaker PLEASE HELP

Slunk12345

I'm new to using Axe-FX products but I tried hooking up my Axe-Fx II into my Behringer power amp into my Peavey Invective speaker using the 4 cable method (2 XLR cables from output 1 and 2 speakerON cables) but I can't seem to get any sound what so ever and it's starting to get frustrating.

Sorry for my ignorance if I'm doing something obviously wrong but any help would be appreciated at this point.

I have everything set to STEREO and I've tried messing around with the output knobs with no luck.

That's not 4 cable method. 4CM means your looping the audio back through the Axe FX via an effects loop. Just connect Output 1 Left and Right to the inputs of the power amp and connect the power amp's speaker outputs to your speaker cab(s). Turn the front panel OUT knob for Output 1 up a little bit and make sure the volume on the power amp is turned up a bit too.

That's not 4 cable method. 4CM means your looping the audio back through the Axe FX via an effects loop. Just connect Output 1 Left and Right to the inputs of the power amp and connect the power amp's speaker outputs to your speaker cab(s). Turn the front panel OUT knob for Output 1 up a little bit and make sure the volume on the power amp is turned up a bit too.
Okay, I tried that and I'm still not getting any sound, any other suggestions?

Are you getting output from your preset? If you plug in headphones, do you hear sound? Are the output meters on the Axe FX showing signal?

Are you getting output from your preset? If you plug in headphones, do you hear sound? Are the output meters on the Axe FX showing signal?
Yes, it's only when I plug into the 4x12 that I get no sound, could it be the cables? or the power amp?

Is it showing an input signal for both channels on the front panel of the Behringer? Is the Protect LED lighting up on either channel?

Last edited:
If the Protect LED is lighting up, there's something up with the power amp (over current, over temperature, short somewhere, etc.). It's muting as a safeguard. Maybe try unplugging the XLR cables and plugging a guitar directly into each input with a regular instrument cable and see if you get any output that way on each channel. Is the 4x12's mono/stereo switch set to stereo?

If the Protect LED is lighting up, there's something up with the power amp (over current, over temperature, short somewhere, etc.). It's muting as a safeguard. Maybe try unplugging the XLR cables and plugging a guitar directly into each input with a regular instrument cable and see if you get any output that way on each channel. Is the 4x12's mono/stereo switch set to stereo?
I tried everything with stereo on then took a cable away and tried everything on mono with no results, and the input signal was showing on the Behringer but the protect LED was NOT lighting up, sorry I misread the question.

You mentioned speakon connectors. Are they correctly "locked" in the socket? Have you used them with other things before and know that they are working?

The first time I used speakon connectors I had custom cables made for use with a patch panel. They were very particular about being correctly positioned... The very knowledgeable and reputable person who made both the cables and patch panel sent me new connectors because he said some brands work better together, and while the original cables had better connectors the jacks in the patch panel were another brand. After that I had no issues.

Also, quickly looking at the Invective 2x12 cab I don't see speakon jacks...

You mentioned speakon connectors. Are they correctly "locked" in the socket? Have you used them with other things before and know that they are working?

The first time I used speakon connectors I had custom cables made for use with a patch panel. They were very particular about being correctly positioned... The very knowledgeable and reputable person who made both the cables and patch panel sent me new connectors because he said some brands work better together, and while the original cables had better connectors the jacks in the patch panel were another brand. After that I had no issues.

Also, quickly looking at the Invective 2x12 cab I don't see speakon jacks...
You'll have to forgive me for not being very knowledgeable on cables and stuff like that, they do kind of snap in but it's not very secure...

The only other thing I had to test them with was an FRFR speaker I have and all I got was a low hum.

You'll have to forgive me for not being very knowledgeable on cables and stuff like that, they do kind of snap in but it's not very secure...

The only other thing I had to test them with was an FRFR speaker I have and all I got was a low hum.
Do you have any 1/4" speaker cables (don't use instrument cables)? Both your amp and cab should work with standard cables, too.

When you connect the speakon into the jack you have to twist it clockwise until it locks. If it's not locked then it won't work correctly. Also, once it clicks into place, it should not move further clockwise - that was a problem I had before I fixed my connectors.

Do you have any 1/4" speaker cables (don't use instrument cables)?

When you connect the speakon into the jack you have to twist it clockwise until it locks. If it's not locked then it won't work correctly. Also, once it clicks into place, it should not move further clockwise - that was a problem I had before I fixed my connectors.
Wow that was such a dumb fix, turns out my freshly bought speakon cables don't work. Had a friend bring over some old speaker cables he found and it works totally fine.
Thanks so much for the help guys, really showed my stupidity but I'm just glad it's all working now.

Wow that was such a dumb fix, turns out my freshly bought speakon cables don't work. Had a friend bring over some old speaker cables he found and it works totally fine.
Thanks so much for the help guys, really showed my stupidity but I'm just glad it's all working now.
Not stupidity, just a good example of how often it’s something super simple when things don’t work. People sometimes get offended when members here ask about cables, or “is it turned on?” but it often is in the simplest things where the fix is found. Glad you’re making noise now!

Glad you got it sorted out and working.

Back
Top Bottom