Fixed No Sound on Particular Preset Scene

I snagged an awesome preset from a fellow forum member earlier this week which can be found at this link. Later in the thread there was an edited version of the preset that managed to reduce some CPU usage by using delays in place of reverbs. I'm using the FM3 with headphones, latest firmware 1.04 and FM3-Edit

When I loaded the edited preset, I was able to play through all of the scenes fine with the exception of one particular Friedman scene. After a few seconds, the FM3 stops producing noise and no changing scenes or presets manage to get sound back. I have to restart to get sound again. The input meters still register sound being produced, but no sound through either headphones or frfr.

A few things I've tried:
  • Different cables
  • Only going to headphones
  • Only going to FRFR
  • Trying to record over USB (doesn't work once the bug seems to happen)
  • Played each other scene for 3-5 minutes each, then finally switch to Friedman scene only to have it stop making sound after a few seconds. Ranges from 5-20 seconds

Would love to have some try the preset to see what's happening.
milo_preset is the original preset
MILO Preset (MCP) is the edited one I'm having issues with. Again, only the Friedman scene

Attachments

• milo_preset.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
  • MILO Preset (MCP).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Exactly the same problem here. Only the edited preset is causing the issue.

(1.04 - no headphone version - from G66)

Exactly the same problem here. Only the edited preset is causing the issue.

(1.04 - no headphone version - from G66)
Thanks for checking! Interesting, I have the headphone version so interesting to see the non-hp version is also having issues. Then again, they're pretty much identical save the headphone slot I believe.

Hopefully we can have a few more people test and chime in.

Confirmed... Would like to systematically go through and figure out what introduced this. Maybe later tonight?

Confirmed... Would like to systematically go through and figure out what introduced this. Maybe later tonight?
Agreed, I've been putting off comparing the two presets to see where it starts to deviate. Also want to make a preset from scratch copying yours exactly as well.

Again, not trying to deviate from the great sounding patches. Just more trying to figure out what circumstances causes the issues we're seeing. If it's repeatable and possible in this preset, it could be the same with other presets in the future.

Input meters? If I'm remembering correctly, they still work and show an input being received at the same values before the issue happens.
On the unit itself, page to the right from Layout view, and you'll come to Meters view, individual meters for every block. Really useful for situations like this where the signal stops at some point.

Try it, I bet you can figure it out.

Input meters? If I'm remembering correctly, they still work and show an input being received at the same values before the issue happens.
No, the Meters view from the front panel.

It shows every block with bars for input and output (L/R).

From grid view hit the page-right button once.

(I'm assuming this is there in the FM3. I'm an Axe Fx III owner)

@Dave Merrill @unix-guy Thanks guys I was able to get to the meters view. Please see attached.
In the first photo, the Input block seems to be green and showing proper metering.
It isn't until block 4 or the Amp Block where it's half red and half green, then every block after is red as seen in the 2nd photo.

I checked meters in other presets as well, and it appears these issues persist through preset change.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5392.jpg
    IMG_5392.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 17
@Dave Merrill @unix-guy Thanks guys I was able to get to the meters view. Please see attached.
In the first photo, the Input block seems to be green and showing proper metering.
It isn't until block 4 or the Amp Block where it's half red and half green, then every block after is red as seen in the 2nd photo.

I checked meters in other presets as well, and it appears these issues persist through preset change.
Ok, so it would appear it's originating in the Amp block.

Something weird happening with the Delay block 1?
  1. The model sometimes loads different (Digital mono) than saved (Stereo BBD), when first loaded?
  2. Sometimes the model is correct, but other (saved) settings are wrong? 'Low Cut' 'High Cut', etc.....
  3. Go to scene 4, Switch the Delay block 1 to Channel C and back to Channel A, and it goes back to the Stereo BBD model? And then locks up again?
  4. Only locks up on scene 4 (Friedman 2018) even though the same Delay Channel (A) is used for scenes 1 through 5.
  5. Remove (or bypass) Delay block 1, and the issue goes away?
  6. Tried setting up different Delay models, but they don't stick after saving and reloading the preset?

Last edited:
Something weird happening with the Delay block 1?
  1. The model sometimes loads different (Digital mono) than saved (Stereo BBD), when first loaded?
  2. Sometimes the model is correct, but other (saved) settings are wrong? 'Low Cut' 'High Cut', etc.....
  3. Go to scene 4, Switch the Delay block 1 to Channel C and back to Channel A, and it goes back to the Stereo BBD model? And then locks up again?
  4. Only locks up on scene 4 (Friedman 2018) even though the same Delay Channel (A) is used for scenes 1 through 5.
  5. Remove (or bypass) Delay block 1, and the issue goes away?
  6. Tried setting up different Delay models, but they don't stick after saving and reloading the preset?
So I've seen weird things like that in FM3 Edit. Is that what you're referring to? Sometimes there seems to be a small delay in the models that appears to happen in the channels chosen for a particular scene.

You're saying if you remove or bypass Delay Block 1, the issue doesn't happen on the Friedman scene? That's bizarre.

I told myself I was going to try re-creating or comparing the 2 presets over the weekend but I didn't.

Thanks for checking! Interesting, I have the headphone version so interesting to see the non-hp version is also having issues. Then again, they're pretty much identical save the headphone slot I believe.

Hopefully we can have a few more people test and chime in.
Hello
I have exact same issue and I own an Non HP version, so I do not think version make any differences here. I think a lot of these issues will be fixed in the next FW release, so I just wait patiently

Hello
I have exact same issue and I own an Non HP version, so I do not think version make any differences here. I think a lot of these issues will be fixed in the next FW release, so I just wait patiently
Hey man, I'm hoping so too!

I was just trying to sort out what exactly about this particular preset causes it to act up the way it does on that particular scene.
Moke had a few good ideas and I plan on testing with the delay removed from signal chain and seeing if it fixes it.

I was unable to reproduce this bug but version 1.05 made some general improvements. Please let us know if this issue persists in 1.05.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-firmware-release-version-1-05.163159/
Excited for the new firmware update.

I went ahead and installed it and then tried to reproduce this bug again. Sadly, I was successful. Again, the bug only occurs on the Friedman scene (scene 4) of the MILO Preset (MCP).syx preset

Results in same behavior, no sound after a few seconds, only a reboot fixes and restores sound in the device. Thanks!

Came here to report the same thing. Odd indeed...and it "spreads" to other presets. That is, all controls work (on unit or FM3-Edit) and i can go to any other scene or preset...but have the same red meters on everything. Bypassing blocks or adding shuts doesn't make a difference.

Now if I go to an EMPTY preset and build something new...I get sound if I do a simple IN1 to OUT2, but if you add an AMP block OR a CAB block, you get the red meters and the preset is corrupted.

Not sure if that helps?
Also - after a reboot things are fine. And apparently this only appears after playing for a bit (for me). If I leave the preset/scene up for a while but don't play, all is fine. Strum a few chords and bam red and no sound.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom