No sound man, so I might need to use my CLR as a backline. yay or nay?

geoangus

Inspired
Simple two guitar, bass and drum band. I have an XL ch 1 to FOH and ch 2 to CLR. Other guitar has a different multifx/modeler running similarly. Kick is mic'd, bass and rest of kit pumping through the mix. The other guitarist and I are trying to control stage volume (we're too damn loud!). We've been upgrading the PA and monitors, but the challenge I face now is how to hear the mix FOH. I've been loud out front, yet unable to hear myself on stage, as well as the opposite. I didn't really have this problem with our old setup, as our stage mix was pretty much what the audience heard, as the PA only carried vocals.

Unless we hire a sound guy, which I don't see happening, I think I have to consider something more like a Matrix and 2x12 cab (or maybe the new Friedman). But before I abandon the CLR, which I think is great, I'm going to give it a go as a backline amp. I've read that it is recommended to pole mount this to ear level, but I'm not sure that's practical - I'll at least get it 12-18" off the floor.

Is anyone successfully doing this? Or do you have an alternative solution?

Thanks.

I use my CLR cabs as a backline all the time, among other uses. Two if necessary, but generally just one will do the job in most small clubs. If you are just looking for stage fill, it would do the trick no problem.

I've thought about pole mounting, but generally just use the old amp-on-a-milk-crate trick to get it off of the floor.

TT

The CLR does the job of being a back line solution very good. Try it out for yourself and see.
If it doesn't do the trick I don't think getting a Matrix or a Friedman will help you. The fault is not with the CLR, it's with your stage set up.

There are some differences in using the CLR in backline vs. a real guitar cab.

But for me, the differences are positive.

Mainly the dispersion, sweet spot, is larger with the CLR than a conventional guitar cab.

With that in mind, as far as volume and stage coverage, you should be better off.

But if you are used to guitar cab beaming and want that effect; spots on the stage where the cab volume is less and other spots where it is more, then the CLR will not give you that. I personally think this is a short coming of conventional cabs but I know players that are so used to this they struggle with FRFR.

I set up my CLR Neo all the time as a Backline.
I set the Switch to BL on the back and it's great...

When I've used my CLR as a backline, having it pole mounted makes all the difference. Just remember to select the FF setting on the back. I've tried it in the other positions as a backline and I found this position to be the best for the job.

Back
Top Bottom