No sound from the Axe II, need help

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
Well I just turned on the Axe II and there's no sound at all.

Everything was working perfectly when I turned it off last night.

I just did a system reset and now I got sound from very old factory presets only, but no presets I created since then have any sound at all now. It shows signal when I strum the guitar, but no sound.

I tried to re-load presets from Axe Edit and it says "Error loading, wrong assist type for current model config"

I'm at 5.07.

Update:
Problem resolved.
The solution to the problem was in the manual at the bottom of page 133:

EXT CTRL # INIT VAL (0% OR 100%)
This specifies an initial value to be used for each of the 12 External Controllers until remote data is received. This also applies when the controller is absent. For example, if you normally use an expression pedal to control the VOLUME block in a particular preset, the absence of that pedal might mean that the preset gets “stuck” in a silent position. Setting an initial value of 100% for the EXTERNAL CONTROLLER mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the pedal is not connected, the volume will be all the way up instead of all the way off.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Last edited:
midi problem with the Axe II

Well here is what is happening now and I don't know why.

If I plug in my midi controller and have it turned it on all of the presets work fine.

If I disconnect the midi controller completely by unplugging the midi cable from the Axe II, there is no sound at all on any of the presets I created myself.
But there is sound on some of the old factory presets.

I use to be able to just turn on the Axe and play if I wanted to. Before I even owned a midi controller.

Guess I should move this to the bugs section.

Have you got a volume control? My system freaks me out at every gig by initially not working until I remember to rock the volume pedal once :)

Cheers S ( 0 )===:::

Thanks everyone.

I spent all night working on this. I had to go through every preset and delete the volume block twice. Then I added the volume block back in again and saved each preset. For some reason it didn't fix it just deleting it once. I had to delete it, add it back, detete it, then add it back again for it to work.

So now all the presets work without the midi controller connected. I am not sure what is going to happen when I re-connect my midi cable to the controller and use it, or what will happen after I turn everything off and restart it tomorrow. Everything was working perfectly last night and all of the problems were there in the morning.

Thanks Simon, I discovered that same problem with having to rock the volume pedal once to get any volume also. This was something different.

Thanks Chris, most of the presets I create for myself have compressor, wah, drive 1, drive 2, chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary, volume pedal, delay 1, delay 2, multi-delay 1, reverb, and I use a send and return to extend the chain, and mostly one amp and a stereo cab, but sometimes two amps and cabs.

Thanks everyone, for now at least, I think it may be fine again. I let you know if the problem re-occurs.

I'm pretty sure that it's a modifier issue and, as pointed out, most likely with one or more volume block(s).
If the only difference between 'no sound' and 'sound' is the connected midi controller, then there're midi commands causing this difference.
Look for modified MIX, BYPASS, INGAIN, LEVEL etc. parameters in your patches. Are they controlled by external controllers?

By default (you said "system reset", hint hint), those get a value of 0% on startup, which leads to closed volume blocks, for example.
To avoid this, you can alter those startup values (front panel I/O -> MIDI) to 100%, which gives you an open vol. block on startup and without the midi controller.
Any chance, you edited those startup values and now after reset they default to 0 again?

Found the problem and fixed it

The modifier start at 0 or 100 setting was my guess.

Sometime I just turn on the Axe II, select a preset and play. Most of the time I turn on the Axe II, turn on the midi controller and play. Lately I have only been using the Axe II with the midi controller on. When I tried using it with the midi controller turned off, the Vol control was stuck at 0.

I didn't need to delete all the vol controls and re-do them. That worked but, but then I had to go into every preset and select ext control 1 again.

The easy solution to the problem was in the manual at the bottom of page 133:

EXT CTRL # INIT VAL (0% OR 100%)
This specifies an initial value to be used for each of the 12 External Controllers until remote data is received. This also applies when the controller is absent. For example, if you normally use an expression pedal to control the VOLUME block in a particular preset, the absence of that pedal might mean that the preset gets “stuck” in a silent position. Setting an initial value of 100% for the EXTERNAL CONTROLLER mapped to that pedal would ensure that when the pedal is not connected, the volume will be all the way up instead of all the way off.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I remember when this was added to the ultra and I celebrated with sparkling apple cider and pizza for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom