No sound from Mac by USB

Now using Catalan, new Operating system on a mid 2015 iMac. Have done the recent logic update. Occasional loss of sound due to iMac / sleep standby mode . But this is apple not Fractal issue. Simple reboot all back.
Have you checked about my Mac to see if it can see it?
Plus midi speaker/ audio setup in my preference/ tool section?
I have the same problem. Don't know how to deal with this

I experienced usb-audio drop out a couple of times in the early days with my axefxIII.

Since then I as a rule always turn on the axefxIII before I wake up/turn on the mac. Probably just superstition, but I havent had a single dropout in more than a year since.

This happens 2 or 3 times every week for me, I found if often happen when I have youtube tab open while turning on the AXE FXIII. Reconnecting USB cable would normally fix the issue...

It's quite annoying...

This happens 2 or 3 times every week for me, I found if often happen when I have youtube tab open while turning on the AXE FXIII. Reconnecting USB cable would normally fix the issue...

It's quite annoying...
The same here but no mac, Windows 10 and lose sound, don’t know why, any advice?

I had something similar a few days ago, where I lost sound from Mac to AXEIII over USB.
Only once so far, but here are some details.
-2015 MacBook Pro Mojave (no issues ever - several months with AXEIII and years with other interfaces, mostly firewire)
-just "upgraded" same computer to Catalina about a week ago and have had sound cut out playing music from Spotify thru AXEIII only one time, so it's not happening much, as I use this computer during the day for work and in evenings for music practice. I switch back and forth between headphones (for conference calls) on the Mac and AXEIII for music stuff.
-When it happened I got no sound and a message from Spotify that said "Can't play the current song" (blue notice in app). I had tons of apps open at the time. So it was strange that the Mac recognized the AXEIII plugged in and working, but there was something going on that Spotify could detect an error somewhere and know it wasn't playing. Other audio from Ableton wasn't work also - so I assume it was system related, not Spotify.
-First tried closing all apps, and restarted a few but that didn't help.
-What fixed it was, closing most apps, and turning off the AXEIII for 20 seconds.
-Today - I looked in Console and noticed several Diagnostic reports related to Axe-Edit III and MIDIServer around that time related to wakeups, but don't remember for sure if Edit was running, and don't know exact timing, probably was. And I'm not sure if wakeups would really indicate an issue anyway.
-I think after all this, I always run 48K, but I did change the Mac built in microphone from 44.1 to 48 after this happened. Doubt that would affect anything, but can't hurt.

So there is another data point for Fractal to consider.
I'm going to be more careful to note particulars if it happens again - Hopefully this was just a one-off.

I'll note that other than this, haven't noticed much difference between Catalina and Mojave (other than can't use firewire audio or mobius anymore - but both of those were unsupported for a long time anyway) and the fact that you have to authorize access to a directory first time you start an app as a security precaution.

As a side note: Mobius used to be one of my favorite programs, and it's sad that it was just never fixed or updated. I've found ways to move on with Ableton and/or iPhone/iPad apps, but Mobius was wonderful when it worked.

I don’t known if this helps but I had the same issue no audio in a MacBook Pro 13” i5 2.5ghz 16g ram on MacOS Catalina and resolve the issue permanently...
funny thing is, be careful with what’s plugged into you Mac .... I disconnected my Ethernet wire(cat6) and the problem never occurred again,
(cat6) can carry power to your computer ....
my issues were no playback in Logic Pro x or any other audio app while the axe fx 3 was plugged in ...
Logic would go crazy and freeze ,no audio , causing some crashes , no recording , buffering issues and odd sounds!!!!!!!
I would unplug it and playback would resume
may be a voltage control issue with Apples logicboard and the power of the axe fx3 via usb.....
I would start disconnecting all peripherals and go from there ...
..........hope this helps......
this solved my issue permanently!!!!!!

Last edited:
I recently bought Axe fx iii, I am very happy about the sound and user surface.
But I cannot seem to get the interface part to work…
My computer is a mac pro I use Logic Pro X at the moment.
I have connected the Axe iii to my computer with the USB and connected my studiomonitors directly to the Axe iii in order of recommendation to prevent latency.
I have sound in on the computer and are able to record both the wet track and a DI track, works good so fare.
But it is not possible to hear the click track or any other backtracks and every time I try to playback the sound cut immediately and cannot get it back again.

I have tried to read information here at the forum.
and it seem to be a commonly problem.
So I tried all the recommended suggestions, e.g reset settings, changing the settings in Logic Pro X, powering down and rebooting, downscale operating system on my mac (so I am on High Sierra at the moment, since it seemed to be a Mojave thing), Plug out the USB to reset USB connection, I have made and Aggregated Device in audio midi setup on my computer even in different variations e.g with the build in speakers and then I have sound from playback with the built in speakers.
But there is no sound thru the Axe iii, so I cannot hear a click track or drum track as record reference, so it is impossible to make any decent recording.
Also I update the Axe iii to 12,03 and the Fractal-Bot that didn't help either.

When I look at the Utility section on the Axe iii, in the USB menu, at the first time after rebooting I have sound in and out. but the second I hit playback, the output level goes to zero immediately.
Since I have sound in on the computer and are able to record the sound, and also have sound out of the internal speakers and also sound for a split second thru the Axe iii. I think it most be in the Axe iii end, something tricker the USB output to cut of.
I have also tried to connect and old Digi 002 rack to stress test the computer and I have sound thru with the Digi 002, so the big question is do you anyone here at FF have any suggestions how to resolve the problem?

It would really be a big help.
Sincerly Morten
Hello, I am wondering if you ever solved this problem? I actually gave up using the Axe Effect for a long time because it was so frustrating. When I went back to it a few days ago I am having the same issue that you are. There is no playback in Logic. Not from what I record, not iTunes and so on..

Greetings all,

I am having similar issues to all of you. Prior to getting the AxeFx III I reset my MAC to factory settings and then reinstalled only the appropriate applications for music production. I have checked all permissions, setup Audio MIDI setting, setup sound settings, and ensured that input and output in Logic are set to the AxeFx III.

As for the AxeFx itself, I have guitar going into the input on the front and an Atomic CLR connected to output 1.

Problems:
1. No computer audio will play through output 1. (youtube, Spotify, etc)
2. No logic audio will play through output 1.
3. Logic isn't registering a signal from the guitar.
4. AxeEdit III is having time out errors.

This could be a USB cable issue but I've just purchases a 10ft cable from guitar center. I have tried both ports on my MAC and seem to have the same issues.

All software and firmware is up to date.

Any thoughts?

just spent a couple hours tracking down an intermittent audio issue. I wish I had started by looking here (on the Forum) first. Intermittent USB cable!

Hi Guys , Im a fractal FX3 user. My fractal fx3 ( With latest OS ) usb connected to my IMAC ( Latest OS ) and i use fractal fx3 as an audio interface. Suddently im not hearing any sound from my imac thought fractal fx3 but im able to tweak the tone and hear the guitar sound from fx3. I tried to reboot both device it remains the same.

Would need your advice on it . Thank u
1611443892129.png

1611443913862.png

Hi Guys , Im a fractal FX3 user. My fractal fx3 ( With latest OS ) usb connected to my IMAC ( Latest OS ) and i use fractal fx3 as an audio interface. Suddently im not hearing any sound from my imac thought fractal fx3 but im able to tweak the tone and hear the guitar sound from fx3. I tried to reboot both device it remains the same.

Would need your advice on it . Thank u
View attachment 77647

View attachment 77648
Hi, have you tried unplugging the USB Cable and then plugging it back in?

@yangdayang I'm gathering by latest OS you mean Big Sur ?

Have you tried the USB firmware for your FXiii from Fractal support, I was having connection dropping issues but after sending an email to support for the link to their latest USB firmware and installing all is now good.
the file is axefxiii_usb_rel_1p10.syx.
I also needed to reload this usb firmware file after doing the latest 15.01 firmware update...

Hi, have you tried unplugging the USB Cable and then plugging it back in?

Yes Rain i tried but doesn't help .

The issue has been resolved by re-launching the logic for several times and turning on off the channel monitoring .

Think back I was using apple garageband to record a simple track but the fractal suddenly lost the sound from computer . Im not sure why this happened but u may share this to those people facing the similar issue .

@yangdayang I'm gathering by latest OS you mean Big Sur ?

Have you tried the USB firmware for your FXiii from Fractal support, I was having connection dropping issues but after sending an email to support for the link to their latest USB firmware and installing all is now good.
the file is axefxiii_usb_rel_1p10.syx.
I also needed to reload this usb firmware file after doing the latest 15.01 firmware update...
Hi Duke

Yes, my OS is Big Sur and Im having 15.01 firmware on my fractal when the issue occured

The issue has been resolved by re-launching the logic for several times and turning on off the channel monitoring .

Think back I was using apple garageband to record a simple track but the fractal suddenly lost the sound from computer ( but guitar sound still can hear and still can use fx3 edit on the mac ) Im not sure why this happened .

If anyone facing the same issue in the future may try this method

I’m getting similar issues with my PC. It’s weird. Anytime somebody switches off a light in the house, the AXE FX III USB gets disconnected from the PC with no PC audio playback. But once I restart the AXE FX III its back on... until somebody switches off a light

I’m getting similar issues with my PC. It’s weird. Anytime somebody switches off a light in the house, the AXE FX III USB gets disconnected from the PC with no PC audio playback. But once I restart the AXE FX III its back on... until somebody switches off a light
Do you use any recording software ? Think u should try with reset the recording software audio track monitoring and restart the recording software

Not sure if this is the best thread for my question, but I did a firmware update on my AxeFX III today and for whatever reason I can no longer select USB 5/6 as an option for my input 1 source under input configuration.

I am setup to re-amp and have done this regularly prior to updating but at this point all I have is "analog" and "digital" as options and usb 5/6 is gone. Am I missing something and this has changed? or is it an issue?

Not sure if this is the best thread for my question, but I did a firmware update on my AxeFX III today and for whatever reason I can no longer select USB 5/6 as an option for my input 1 source under input configuration.

I am setup to re-amp and have done this regularly prior to updating but at this point all I have is "analog" and "digital" as options and usb 5/6 is gone. Am I missing something and this has changed? or is it an issue?
Go to:
Setup:
I/O:
Audio:
It’s under Digital I/O Cinfiguration
Select Digital Input Source
Then
Scroll over to USB Channels 5/6

Back
Top Bottom