No sound from Mac by USB

After you turn on the III, unplug your USB cable from the Mac and then plug back in. IF that doesn't work, try going into your Mac sound settings and advanced. You'll see two speakers that you can click on, change them to OUT 3 and 4 (left and right, respectively). Then click each speaker (generally only your left speaker will make a sound (it will be white noise).

Thank you... I got a similar suggestion a while back so did those things and it works for a minute and then goes back to silence.
Every two weeks or so I do a resetting dance that fails quickly.

I have a small studio out of state (I'm away working) and have been building rigs for 2 decades. Unfortunately, this is by far the most consistent trouble I've had with an audio device hooked to any computer. Other interfaces have been doing the same so I don't think it's the Axe FX III. I found a lot about Mac Mojave being problematic with audio devices and found out Focusrite was stable. So finally, I just got a Scarlett and it works like a dream. So I can go back to recording riffs...right ... about... NOW.

You said only on recording you can hear the sound.
You had to enable audio monitor pressing the "I" button on the track panel.

View attachment 52472

If you use input monitoring in Logic (or other DAWs) you're sending your guitar signal on a roundtrip through the system which will likely cause a delay. It's better to keep that off and use direct monitoring from the interface (or the Axe III if it was working) so you hear the guitar you're playing in real time. My problem was that the audio from the daw (drum tracks, for example) would not play out. So I can hear my guitar playing fine but not the backing tracks, making recoding impossible.

About to get a mac mini 2018.
Anyone having issues with that?
I'm on Cubase but have never used it with a Mac yet.
This thread is making me nervous.

go to your security settings and select microphone then select your DAW. I had the same problem.

If it's suddenly and persistently silent after an update this is probably the solution. But most of us here are talking about something else that seems to be a bug related to Mojave specifically.

Early '15 Era MacBook Pro 13". It was sending sound out to AxeFX III just fine until I updated to Mojave. Now, when I select it as an OUTPUT there's no sound but also anything that sends sound freezes and I have to reboot. I was hoping it was an AxeFX Firmware issue because I updated from v3 to v5.02 at the same time cuz then it can get fixed. Frustrating, too... now I have to use two sets of headphones when I play and want to watch a YouTube video while playing... LOL ha ha... ugh... grrrrrrr!

I'm not going back to that Scarlett Interface...

Early '15 Era MacBook Pro 13". It was sending sound out to AxeFX III just fine until I updated to Mojave. Now, when I select it as an OUTPUT there's no sound but also anything that sends sound freezes and I have to reboot. I was hoping it was an AxeFX Firmware issue because I updated from v3 to v5.02 at the same time cuz then it can get fixed. Frustrating, too... now I have to use two sets of headphones when I play and want to watch a YouTube video while playing... LOL ha ha... ugh... grrrrrrr!

I'm not going back to that Scarlett Interface...

Have you tried unplugging and plugging the USB? I pretty much have to do that every time I turn on the Axe-FX but ince Ilve done so it's pretty stable.

Have you tried unplugging and plugging the USB? I pretty much have to do that every time I turn on the Axe-FX but since I've done so it's pretty stable.

Yeah. I tried that, even rebooted (both Mac and AF3). No effect.

I'd love to rule out if it's a firmware issue. Is it possible to update to an earlier firmware version?

Mine used to that with Mojave.
Do you have a boot sequence? Like Mac then 3.
If. I Do 3 then Mac I tend to get no sound. But to be fair it's not done it for ages.
Yesterday I downloaded a new Burgs preset 8 Amps and I can't disengage the rotary Pedal on the first scene. Could be firmware as also updated to 05.02 at the same time.

sYes, I am having the same problem ,using Focusrite Clarett 8 pre ,To play I tunes thru

I've been working on this. It seems that Mojave and certain models of MacBook Pros are having problems with ALL USB interfaces. This, as we know, includes the Axe III. I tried other interfaces and they are doing the same thing for me. I'll select a drum set in Slate drums to get started on some songwriting and then all sound coming out of the interface stops. I did a full rebuild of my system drive and had some stability for a minute by making sure that the system prefs were using internal speakers/mic and Logic was using the Axe III. But as soon as I switched to Itunes or Safari, or opened a plugin on Logic the sound would stop.

Are all you guys with problems using MacBooks Pros on Mojave? I just want to narrow it down.
I'm about to downgrade to High Sierra and I'll let you know how it goes.

Mid 2015 Mojave
All issues gone . Even upon reboot with 3 on. The preset with firmware was my issue. Written with new Fc controller which I don't have yet,so had to set rotary function to none. Thank you Burgs :). Love the preset.
Not an IT tech. But apple have migrated to 64 bit only software/ programs. My software for the Safire pro 24 was out of date. But the interface still worked fine. I suspect it's a Mojave third party issue and not the Fractal.

Recently got an Axe III (Black November sale). I came from an Axe II XL+ which worked great with Logic and Fractool, Fractal-Bot and Axe-Edit. I use a 2010 Mac Pro with High Sierra (10.13). With the Axe III, I would have to reboot my computer, open Logic and power on the Axe III in order to hear my self playing. This was annoying, so I "upgraded" to Mojave and now I get no output, at all. Occasionally, I'll get an input signal but I can't get that signal to any of the outputs in Logic.

I also have a 2015 MBPro with Mojave and the same results occur, as above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom