No Signal In Garageband w/ FM3

Cam Heiliger

Inspired
I have the FM3 plugged into my Macbook Pro via the same USB port that I use for FM3 edit. Garageband recognizes the device in audio preferences, but I am getting no signal from the device to the DAW. I'm getting signal from the FM3 outputs to my speakers, just nothing from USB. Thoughts? Thanks!

Is the Garage Band track input set to an applicable FM3 USB channel which monitoring turned on?

GarageBand always uses USB channels 1 and 2 (even if Apple's system audio is configured to use channels 3 and 4).

Last edited:
GarageBand always uses USB channels 1 and 2 (even if Apple's system audio is configured to use channels 3 and 4).
You can choose usb channels when selecting track input in GarageBand. Maybe you're thinking of the IOS version of GarageBand? It is getting confusing the way Apple is merging things.

You can choose usb channels when selecting track input in GarageBand. Maybe you're thinking of the IOS version of GarageBand? It is getting confusing the way Apple is merging things.

Ah yes, wasn't thinking clearly.

P. 24 in the manual talks about the various USB channels used for I/O. Have you double checked your settings against that page?

PS - also see p. 29

Last edited:
I'm having trouble finding the sample rate in the most recent version of Garageband. It looks like it defaults to 44.1K. Anyone know where I can change it? Most posts say that it is under the advanced parameters in the preferences setting, but I can't find it there.

I'm having trouble finding the sample rate in the most recent version of Garageband. It looks like it defaults to 44.1K. Anyone know where I can change it? Most posts say that it is under the advanced parameters in the preferences setting, but I can't find it there.
It is fixed at 44.1 and cannot be changed. However, it will convert automatically, so it works fine with the 48 kHz of the FM3.

Then I'm stumped. I'm using the proper output and USB. My settings in I/O are correct. My computer recognizes the device as a DAW. My levels are turned up - I was able to record using Logic on my desktop through my Yamaha MG10XU, but I could not get the FM3 to record direct there either. I also could not get sound out of my Audient iD14 on either device despite it also being recognized in the DAW with the FM3 running through the main input. Can anyone think of a reason why my mixer with USB out would record properly but the FM3 and audio interface would not?

Back
Top Bottom