No Powered version?

Guitarist9891

Inspired
I was really hoping for a version with a built in power amp along the lines of a Kemper power head. Especially considering that it is now a 3U unit. That way we could show up and be ready to either plug in straight to the board or real speaker cab or both. After the Kemper released their powered versions I was surely convinced that the next generation of Fractal modelers would be powered. Guess I was wrong.

Both would be nice. In my mind one gets a modeler for the flexibility live. In the studio the Axe sounds fantastic but so do tube amps. Live: achieving the same flexibility as presets on the AXE is a huge PITA with switchers and extra cabling. Really wish they would release a powered version down the road. As of now, I don't see a point to upgrade. Maybe once I learn more about AXE 3 GAS will start and I will want one but as of now, nothing REALLY NEW in terms of convenience, I am sure it will sound great.

Me too. I don't think a power amp belongs in a processor, I thought it was a bit silly in the Kemper, honestly.

Most people use studio monitors or powered FRFR speakers, and within the much smaller segment using passive guitar cabs there is wide range of power amp preferences. From colorful tube amp power to various SS, in various wattages.

I doubt FAS would get into the power amplifier business. With the prices of class D amps so cheap, its seems like your margins would be too tight.

I would not be surprised if Fractal put out a power speaker in the near future.... why not offer an end to end solution.

I like being able to choose my power section personally...not only for sound/feel reasons but it helps reduce obsolescence and other problems. It's not that inconvenient to rack a one space power amp with the rack pre and carry that like you would a head. My set-up time has been reduced by half since switching from amps and pedalboard to the AxeFx. The only way it gets more convenient is if I hire someone to take the 7-10 minutes I need to setup to do it for me. :D

Definitely don't think it was silly of Kemper. A powered kemper is a super convenient solution to show up to a wedding or corporate gig or any gig that provides any kind of back line that includes a speaker cabinet. Ask the engineer if he prefers to mic a guitar speaker or get a line out from you and no headache. That way I have my tone and feel almost anywhere.

I wish Fractal would provide an option to have a powered Axe III for those that want it. Especially since it is now a 3 space unit carrying something like a matrix 1U power amp plus a power conditioner = a 5 space rack. That is already getting to the PITA territory.

Why do you want the preamp and power amp to be one unit?

That way we could show up and be ready to either plug in straight to the board or real speaker cab or both.

You can get whatever power amp you want, put it in a rack with the axe fx and do exactly this. There is no advantage to having them both in one unit, only disadvantages.

Seems a minority’s if users want a built in power amp. Most users already have powered wedges, or chosen power amps like a matrix they use with cabs.

Majority wouldn’t use a built in amp, and don’t want to pay extra for something they don’t want. I’m not buying an Axe 3 only to go and sell my atomic clr actives....

As such, they’d have to offer powered and unpowered, and two products raise cost, especially for lower volume stuff

As such, who wants a $3500 powered version ?

You can get whatever power amp you want, put it in a rack with the axe fx and do exactly this. There is no advantage to having them both in one unit, only disadvantages.

I know I have been doing that for years. Advantages - Would save one rack space make things easier to carry. Everything is in one chassis so less weight. No extra cabling/power supply.

I still believe that Fractal should have included the option as it makes live use a lot more convenient. I am not a bedroom player or someone who gigs for fun, I do it for pay. So for me convenience (setup/tear dow time and weight of the rig) are as important as sound.

If I am in the minority of users that find having a powered version is important thats fine. Just pointing out why it is important to me and why I made the thread.

I too was hoping for a powered version as an option (Axe-FX III XL? ;))

Hopefully the III fits in a shallow rack case at least. My current setup looks super dumb with my rack hanging over the edges of my cab.

I really wish I could treat my Axe-FX like a traditional amp and plug it directly into to any cab I come across without any additional doodads, but it looks like I'll be sticking with my noisy old Matrix power amp and bulky rack for now...

I too was hoping for a powered version as an option (Axe-FX III XL? ;))

Hopefully the III fits in a shallow rack case at least. My current setup looks super dumb with my rack hanging over the edges of my cab.

I really wish I could treat my Axe-FX like a traditional amp and plug it directly into to any cab I come across without any additional doodads, but it looks like I'll be sticking with my noisy old Matrix power amp and bulky rack for now...

Well at least I am not alone :) Honestly when Axe 2 was a 2U rack I though it was a space issue. But having it be a 3U unit and still be unpowered? C'mon. When/If they release a powered version then I will upgrade to Axe 3.

for the few of you that want a powered version.... there are many more who don't. I wouldn't count on a powered version.

I don't think sweeping generalizations about what forum users want represents the entire Axe-FX user base... Just because you and a couple other forum folk don't see the use in something doesn't mean that applies to everyone.

Personally when I had a choice between axe fx 2 and kemper, the powered kemper was not out yet. I knew both would work for me sonically. Had it been already out, I wouldn't even be on this forum today. So I do believe that even though a powered version might not be attractive to all existing users, although it will appeal to some, it will definitely help make new users make the transition. Plus as I said before - 3U is a lot. If it remained unpowered at 2U - OK. But at 3U? no way

I think switching to 3 units was necessary for the increased number of I/O's. Just look at the rear panel. Adding a power amp would just make it even bigger.

Personally when I had a choice between axe fx 2 and kemper, the powered kemper was not out yet. I knew both would work for me sonically. Had it been already out, I wouldn't even be on this forum today. So I do believe that even though a powered version might not be attractive to all existing users, although it will appeal to some, it will definitely help make new users make the transition. Plus as I said before - 3U is a lot. If it remained unpowered at 2U - OK. But at 3U? no way

I thought the Kemper head was their first offering. Sounds exactly like what you are looking for.

If there was a single power-amp which worked objectively perfectly with modelers existed, there wouldn't be a market for modeler power-amps.

Note that there's heaps and heaps of modeler power-amps.

Back
Top Bottom