No more real cabs for me

Haven't used a cab since I first got my Axe2, and I only used an FRFR on stage once. I get plenty of interaction from the front of house, in smaller clubs.

Hey @bishop5150 , how do the ASC’s compare to the ASM’s? Dave mentioned in an email that the asc cab has a bit more low end thump which he applies more filtering to smooth out. Just wondering if they feel even more cab ish

I think this would make a great video comparison, like that Larry Mitchell one. On other forums people always talk about how modeling does not sound like a cab in the room etc so pitting a real Plexi vs modeled + solid state poweramp into the same speaker cab maybe miced with both close and room mics would be a great demonstration of the Axe-Fx 3 capabilities and how it responds at louder volumes. Throw in an IR of the cab for even more controversy!

@FractalAudio, how about it?

I have a pair of Xitone 2 x 12's, which sound quite nice...but need a lot of volume to get them going.

My Yamaha HS8's sound much better at lower volumes than the Xitones...way more detail and a much fuller and more neutral sound.

I have no real use for the Xitones as I don't gig...may just sell them and my Matrix 1000 and just keep my HS8's

Last edited:
It is kind of a wash...on regular cab or FRFR (monitor set up), The key for my ears was the driver in the cab and a certain level of volume. You surely have more control over on-stage volume with the powered cab or passive FRFR/power amp set up. Either FRFR works equally well .imo.

With the FRFR set up you just need to make sure you have some air moving - if you are used to conventional amp/set up.

Right now all I use is powered monitors and FOH - if the venue is big enough for that option.

I don't miss having a amp head/cab set up as long as I have powered speaker (passive with a power amp would be the same here) on stage.

When I just went FOH and had sound run my guitar to the house on stage monitor, I felt I lost some the "true guitar experience." Even at times I have to use in-ears, still use a powered cab off to the side and put one of the ear monitors in my pocket.

When I ran with a power amp and conventional cab and turned off cabs in the AXE, its was good but more inconsistent - but still a good sound.

To me, the real sell or power of owning an AXE and using it is the complete model set up. It's all well thought out...and IT's all in there!

Bought a stereo 2x12 cab for test purposes. Tonight I hooked up my 50W Plexi to one side and the III through a Matrix GT800 to the other side. Sound identical. Way too loud. WAY too loud. My ears are ringing after five minutes.

The punch is great though. Definitely don't get that punch in the gut thing with monitors. Probably just due to the shear volume though.
I have had a much better experience using real cabs with the Axe III. I'm not sure what changed to make the character of the amp model come through so much better when using guitar cabs.

It is kind of a wash...on regular cab or FRFR (monitor set up), The key for my ears was the driver in the cab and a certain level of volume. You surely have more control over on-stage volume with the powered cab or passive FRFR/power amp set up. Either FRFR works equally well .imo.

With the FRFR set up you just need to make sure you have some air moving - if you are used to conventional amp/set up.

Right now all I use is powered monitors and FOH - if the venue is big enough for that option.

I don't miss having a amp head/cab set up as long as I have powered speaker (passive with a power amp would be the same here) on stage.

When I just went FOH and had sound run my guitar to the house on stage monitor, I felt I lost some the "true guitar experience." Even at times I have to use in-ears, still use a powered cab off to the side and put one of the ear monitors in my pocket.

When I ran with a power amp and conventional cab and turned off cabs in the AXE, its was good but more inconsistent - but still a good sound.

To me, the real sell or power of owning an AXE and using it is the complete model set up. It's all well thought out...and IT's all in there!
Be careful with that "one ear" thing... Very easy to damage your hearing. The amount of volume compensation to make up for having one side out is quite large.

Be careful with that "one ear" thing... Very easy to damage your hearing. The amount of volume compensation to make up for having one side out is quite large.

My bassist in one band does this. The whole band is on IEM's, and he still brings a full bass rig, uses his IEM's (pulling one out from time to time), and always demands a wedge in front of him with the FOH mix. I keep telling him to see an audiologist, because if he has this much trouble getting a feel for everything he should just go stand in front of the mains.

I agree. I have gone FRFR for two years now. It works fine but is it a pair of 4x12’s? Hell no and it never will be.

It never will be? Good. I got real tired of carrying 300lbs of Mesa Cabs to my shows. Save me some energy and space in my truck. Really enjoying going direct with IEM's with a consistent controllable sound night after night.

I do need to fire up my old rig one more time for old times sake though...

Not to overlook all the things you can do with FRFR (especially in stereo) that you can't do as well with a regular cabinet: post cab effects like rotary sim and ambient reverb soundscapes. I've been able to convincingly get the "amp in the room". I've been willing to give up that extra bit of feral punch a real cab gives (and that's only at significant volume) for the choice of which ever IR pairs the best with any given amp model, and at exactly the volume level the venue requires. (And this is based on the AX8: As Ares develops on Axe FX III, expect the cab modeling will get even better). Sure, I still enjoy a couple of tube amps and a favorite cabinet I'm hanging on to, but they don't get out much any more.

Last edited:
All due respect, saying "it never will be..." with respect to tech, and specifically the Axe-FX is always dangerous...

Dangerous? Lol it's not that serious. It's all subjective anyway. We all interpret what we hear differently and I believe it's has a lot to do with how we came up as players with the gear we had. Times change. For kids today who start out with FRFR they would likely hear a statement about 4x12's and have no point of reference. I'm not advocating against FRFR or for big bad ass 4x12's just saying they aren't the same. For me at least. I'd much rather put my CLR's in the back of my car but...if I had a roadie? Bring on them big boxes :)

It never will be? Good. I got real tired of carrying 300lbs of Mesa Cabs to my shows. Save me some energy and space in my truck. Really enjoying going direct with IEM's with a consistent controllable sound night after night.

I do need to fire up my old rig one more time for old times sake though...

Same boat here. My Boogie cabs sit in the studio and serve as amp stands these days. FRFR sounds good enough for me. I don't miss having to mic my cabs. Consistency and easy set up for FOH just translates to a better night for me. What I can do with a 4 space rack and a foot controller these days compared to back in the day is mind blowing.

I still enjoy my 2X12 behind me on stage and at low bedroom levels at home... the beauty of the axe fx is that you can have the best of both worlds - which I do - one output goes to the cab, the other goes to the board... both sound great !

If... IF... I ever felt like I prefer FRFR to real guitar speaker cabs, I'd try to make sure my excuses for justifying it don't make me sound like I'm old, weak, lazy and jaded...

I still enjoy my 2X12 behind me on stage and at low bedroom levels at home... the beauty of the axe fx is that you can have the best of both worlds - which I do - one output goes to the cab, the other goes to the board... both sound great !
Yup that works well too!

Back
Top Bottom