No more real cabs for me

I bought a Matrix GT800FX a while ago to run my Marshall 4x10 guitar cab. It sounded really good with bedroom volume. We had a jam night yesterday and I had the chance to try it with full volume for the first time. Also brought my CLR "just for comparison". Or that's what I thought...

Ended up using the CLR the whole night. It sounded better and had the versatility. I love to use impulses with a room mic baked into the sound. The cab is what it is and if it doesn't sound just like you want it to sound, there's not much you can do. Can't wait to try the III with the new cab block where you can easily tweak the room mic or other mics on the fly.

Can confirm the thump = volume scenario. It's there, just crank it up!

I recently came off real and FRFR cabs and am now using the Axe II direct into the PA and monitor with In Ears. The only thing I miss is the sustain of the notes....when I hit a note (particularily on a bend) the note dies off very quickly.... That's the downside of not using cabs I guess.

Sounds fantastic but, wow, so loud. I'm actually really impressed with this cab. I forgot what I ordered. It's an Avatar 2x12. I think it's got Celestion G12H's in it. The III through the Matrix sounds fat and punchy. Giving me ideas...

I use a Matrix GT1000 into a pair of Mesa LoneStar 2x12 cabs...I loaded each cab with an Eminence Legend EM-12 (like an old 200 watt EV) and an Eminence Tonker (Like a 150 watt version of a G12H) and they COOK.

You have to turn the volume up to get them moving but once they are it’s just incredible how good it sounds...it’s the sound that got me selling off over two thirds of my massive amp collection. I have a pair of 1x12 LoneStar cabs that I’m thinking of dropping one of each of these speakers at 16ohms into so I can cut the output power of my Matrix GT10000 to 150 watts per channel and make it easier to get the speakers humming at lower volume.

I recently came off real and FRFR cabs and am now using the Axe II direct into the PA and monitor with In Ears. The only thing I miss is the sustain of the notes....when I hit a note (particularily on a bend) the note dies off very quickly.... That's the downside of not using cabs I guess.
I use direct only with IEMs and I don't have that problem.

Try turning down or off (what I do) the noise gate in the input section.

My nephew built me a copy of an Avatar 2X12. It's a great little cab. I wish I hadn't asked him to make it out of 3/4" plywood, though. It seemed like a good idea at the time. :)
Why was the 3/4" plywood a bad idea?

Sounds fantastic but, wow, so loud. I'm actually really impressed with this cab. I forgot what I ordered. It's an Avatar 2x12. I think it's got Celestion G12H's in it. The III through the Matrix sounds fat and punchy. Giving me ideas...
I have a 1969 marshal 4x12 with greenbacks...its one of the best cabs I own...it give you that immediate punch

Cliff, do you think the Matrix is the best option for a power amp? And do you have a preference on which one?

Never going back to cabs. Don’t get me wrong, I love them and they sound fantastic but I don’t miss the beaminess of them. I just bought two Friedman ASC-12’s from Sweetwater and they we’re delivered today. Going to use them for our bigger shows like House of Blues and keep using my XiTone’s for the smaller shows. And they sound fantastic with the III from the quick play through I did with them today.
View attachment 45902
I have a pair of Xitone's and was thinking of trying a new cab with my AXE FX III. What would you say is the biggest difference between the Xis and the Friedman?

Last edited:
I have a pair of Xitone's and was thinking of trying a new cabe with my AXE FX III. What would you say is the biggest difference between the Xis and the Friedman?
They both have a great cab like quality and punch to them with the Friedman having just a bit more thump to them IMO. The XiTone’s are definitely lighter and smaller though.

Ok, I’m left a little confused here ... not all that uncommon ;)

I’m a “real cab” user (stereo through a matrix gt1000), who has been considering a stereo FRFR. I do like loud, but can I get an FRFR set of monitors which deliver an equally pleasing experience?

I really enjoy the 2 2x12s, but I can imagine all the downsides, beaming, volume, always V30s all the time, etc. etc.

I realize that the pros of FRFR include better dispersion, better volume control, and a wide tonal palate from a wealth of IRs.

But, from what @FractalAudio says, it’s a wash (experiential) and I should be able to get a similar/identical experience as “real” cabs ... assuming I turn it up. But I see all the debate here and other places. I want to be confident in this leap.

I’ve also read that FRFR is somehow “easier on the ears” vs. cabs. Truth or fiction?

Help me make the jump. Budget is about $2k for stereo. What size drivers? 10” or 12”? I have the matrix, so unpowered should be ok? Or is there a good case for powered/active? Also wedges or stands?

Last edited:
Lol I never say never anymore when it comes to gear. I remember saying that about the Ultra back in 07 and that I’d never need anything else. Hahaha and then look what happened. I’m just fine with FRFR and have become very accustomed to it over the last few years but every single time I crank my real amps and 4x12’s I end up plotting a rig redo for at least a few days. There is a special mojo that in my humble opinion FRFR can’t touch. At least my CLR’s just can’t touch. Not that they don’t sound great on their own but the old school stuff just has that special whatever. Yeah it’s volume, pushing air, that instant connection and it’s probably nostalgia too on top of the tone. Whatever “it” is it’s cool. Then after some time goes by I plug back into the AxeFx and go about my business... just as happy.

I’m a “real cab” user, stereo through a matrix gt1000 who has been considering a stereo FRFR. I do like loud, but can I get an FRFR set of monitors which deliver an equally pleasing experience?

I really enjoy the 2 2x12s, but I can imagine all the downsides, beaming, volume, always V30s all the time, etc. etc.

I realize that the pros of FRFR include better dispersion, better volume control, and a wide tonal palate from a wealth of IRs.

But, from what @FractalAudio says, it’s a wash (experiential) and I should be able to get a similar/identical experience as “real” cabs ... assuming I turn it up. But I see all the debate here and other places. I want to be confident in this leap.

I’ve also read that FRFR is somehow “easier on the ears” vs. cabs. Truth or fiction?

Help me make the jump. Budget is about $2k for stereo. What size drivers? 10” or 12”? I have the matrix, so unpowered should be ok? Also wedges or stands?

I'd say FRFR is no better or worse on your ears than a normal cab depending on how you're using it and how it's aimed at you. Equally pleasing? That's really subjective and all on you. It took me awhile to get there. Sounds like the Axe-Fx is your primary rig as it is right now? For me it went something like years of the AxeFx as an effects processor. Then it became the tone processor into a tube amp and 4x12's then back to an effects processor in the loop of an amp again to finally just going all in with the AxeFx and FRFR setup. Are you using IEM's?

I’m a “real cab” user (stereo through a matrix gt1000), who has been considering a stereo FRFR. I do like loud, but can I get an FRFR set of monitors which deliver an equally pleasing experience?

Help me make the jump. Budget is about $2k for stereo. What size drivers? 10” or 12”? I have the matrix, so unpowered should be ok? Or is there a good case for powered/active? Also wedges or stands?
Xitone or CLR should be easily in your price range.

I use passive Xitone wedges and I'm very satisfied. And I started with a real cab, so that's why I'm using passive. Having an amp in your rig gives you the option of using a regular cab if the need arises... But, powered wedges allow for a smaller/lighter rack.

I'd say FRFR is no better or worse on your ears than a normal cab depending on how you're using it and how it's aimed at you. Equally pleasing? That's really subjective and all on you. It took me awhile to get there. Sounds like the Axe-Fx is your primary rig as it is right now? For me it went something like years of the AxeFx as an effects processor. Then it became the tone processor into a tube amp and 4x12's then back to an effects processor in the loop of an amp again to finally just going all in with the AxeFx and FRFR setup. Are you using IEM's?

Agreed; it is highly subjective ... Although I think most guitarist understand the point I’m trying to make; hopefully.

No IEM’s as of now.

Last edited:
Xitone or CLR should be easily in your price range.

I use passive Xitone wedges and I'm very satisfied. And I started with a real cab, so that's why I'm using passive. Having an amp in your rig gives you the option of using a regular cab if the need arises... But, powered wedges allow for a smaller/lighter rack.

Thanks UG, Yep; that always seems to be the two most popular choices that regularly pop up.

Agreed; it is highly subjective.

No IEM’s for now. Just an old guy playing for my own enjoyment right now.

All I can say really say is in my experience I like the CLR's very much. Previous to the CLR's I had a pair of Xitone 2x12's that I used with a Matrix GT800FX that I did not care for and previous to those I had an old pair of Atomic's first FRFR offering they were just ok for me. I'm on IEM's now but I still find myself taking one out just so I can hear the stage volume a little more. The AxeFx sounds great in my ears but I don't feel as connected to my sound with both in. Running stereo as well.

CLR gets my vote. Next would be the RCF ART 7xx series - I have the 708 and it’s a little beast.

Personally, I would go for the monitor wedge style, you can always stand them up or mount them on a pole. The new stuff like the ones I mentioned have different DSP settings to compensate for the three modes.

Since you already have he Matrix power amp you could grab a pair of their FR12s that are unpowered.

Back
Top Bottom